Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! V19.2 (SP2) and SQL Server 2016 Express and Standard

Nickel Super Contributor

Act! V19.2 (SP2) and SQL Server 2016 Express and Standard

Although already compatible Act! V19.2 with SQL Server 2016 - I guess it is not possible to have a mixed SQL Server  implementation...

Something like...  Server With SQL Server 2016  and Remote user with SQL Server 2014 Express...

may be... at the time of restoring the remote database you get a message that refers to The database was created in a higher SQL version

In this case I suggest....

SUGGESTION  if you have SQL Server 2016 on your server,   before you install Act! On the remote user's computer ... create the instance manually with SQL Server 2016 Express (on the remote user's computer) 

( Remember... Even on the server... you must manually create the instance SQL Server 2016 before installing Act! -- It's the best way for now - Later we will be able to have the Act! installer  Creating by default the instance with SQL Server 2016 Express)

Yesterday I tried to upgrade the instance of a remote user (From 2014 to 2016) and I had problems

So... the best thing is that before installing Act! On the Remote User's Computer - Manually Create Instance with SQL Server 2016... If your server has SQL Server 2014 ... this is not necessary

DO NOT FORGET TO MAKE A DAILY DATABASE BACKUP...

AND COPYING THAT ZIP FILE IN AN EXTERNAL MEMORY OR HARD DRIVE  FOR MORE SECURITY

Best regards and Happy Father's Day

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! V19.2 (SP2) and SQL Server 2016 Express and Standard

Juan Carlos,

Thank you for this suggestion.

For those of us who may not speak SQL, would you provide some guidance on manually creating the ACT7 instance, then finding/connecting when installing ACT v19.2?

I believe SQL Server 2016 Express is a free download - any other SQL tools or suite suggested?

Regards,

John

John Marshall
Administrator

Hi John,

We have a Knowledgebase article with this information. Check it out here: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38785
It's only really necessary to do this if you are required to use SQL 2016 (i.e. you are already using another application that uses SQL 2016). The version of SQL Express that is bundled with your version of Act! should work for 99% of installations.
Nickel Super Contributor

This is the error message when I try to UPGRADE the instance from SQL Server 2014 Express to SQL Server 2016 Express (Act! Windows 10 64 Bit)

No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

1.png

2.png

Juan Carlos Otero
Administrator

Hi Juan Carlos,

Thanks for posting this.
Were you able to get the SQL 2016 instance created manually?
Nickel Super Contributor

Thanks for replying, yes, it was possible to create the instance manually, but I just wanted to let you know what happens when someone tries to upgrade the instance.

Best regards.

Juan Carlos Otero