Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Supports Word... sorta. Word has a powerful mail merge feature and fields that can make magic--but Act! doesn't support them?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Act! Supports Word... sorta. Word has a powerful mail merge feature and fields that can make magic--but Act! doesn't support them?

It would be good to have documentation as to what "supporting word" really means. If it just means you can merge text into a word template created in Act! but that's it, say so. I have been trying to get Act! to remove blank lines in an address for years as some of my clients have a 4 line address and some have only a 3 liner.

Word can eliminate the problem with an "if" field, such as the following:

Error! Missing test condition.

Oh yes, I have to type the entire field as text and not copy and paste it or I get that message from this board, and any other place that doesn't accept the field as "text," (meaning the wordprocessor on this board even attempts to interpret the field and realizes there's no data file to pull from, but I bet it would come out as straight text in the Act! wordprocessor--tried it and got this

<Address 3><Address 3>Error! Missing test condition.

...Here's the text:

{ IF { DOCVARIABLE [ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.BUSINESS_LINE3 \* MERGEFORMAT } = "" "" "{ DOCVARIABLE [ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.BUSINESS_LINE3 \* MERGEFORMAT } <CARRIAGE RETURN>

" }

This pretty simple code tests whether the content of Act's field Business_Line 3 from the contact table is null and if not, causes the content to print and add a carriage return after the new line, otherwise, it causes nothing to print and the following line of the address can print.

Why does Act! return the error message "Object has been deleted" when I attempt to run a mail merge containing the above code? It works in Word, and if I take the time to export the data from my client record to a tab-delimited text file and then figure out all the field names to map Act! to Word and create a header file that matches the map of the fields exported, I can then create my letter without the blank line if Line 3 of the address is blank. 

Well, I've done that, and I have over 800 custom fields for my application using Act! as a repository for client data for document assembly, works great but takes work! It would seem to me that if you truly "support word" you'd at least support the field structure available in word so the mailmerge data from Act! would feed right into those fields and be manipulated by the fields available in word. 

Not sure this is clear, but does anyone else experience this frustration? I've found a thread for frustration with the non-functioning feature of the blank line eliminator in Act! but I'm not seeing that work... since forever!

Don't mean to vent, but this application can do so much more than just keep up with sales figures from last quarter.

Thanks!

ed

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Supports Word... sorta. Word has a powerful mail merge feature and fields that can make magic--but Act! doesn't support them?

I think there are other comments a few days ago, to see these comments CLICK HERE

I guess Swiftpage and the Act! support team are working on a quick solution

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Act! Supports Word... sorta. Word has a powerful mail merge feature and fields that can make magic--but Act! doesn't support them?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Nice solution:  spend $250 to fix a problem Act created. Mail merges worked before the current version.