Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Scheduler and Backups

Act! Scheduler and Backups

Hey,

I use the Act! Scheduler to create backups, it works very well.  I run this on a daily basis... and found that the backed up ".zip" files are never being overwritten (always a new file with a new timestamp is being created).  The files are 1G each. 

Obviously... my question is... how do I keep the last file, and be rid of the prior files automatically?  Do I have to write a batch file to do this, or isn't there some less convoluted way inside the Act! Scheduler? 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Scheduler and Backups

You did not list the version of ACT! that you are using which would help. Starting with version 10.0.1, the scheduler now allows you to specify how many backup files to keep. The default is five and that is the minimum that I would keep.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Hey there...

I'm using Act! Premium for Workgroups 2006... version 8...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello

Having a similar kind of problem

we have ACT! By Sage Premium for Web 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

I have set up the scheduler to keep the last 5 before overwriting the backups. Problem is the scheduler seems to stop after it has done 5 and doesn't attempt to do anymore backups. I can see in out logs the 5 backups are all successful on the dates but then nothing after. If I go in to act scheduler I have to press the "start service" link to start so for some reason the scheduler stops after 5 backups.

Any idea why it does not perform backups after the first 5? I have it to backup on every weekday

Thanks

Rob

Thanks for the reply

Act scheduler log shows results: task completed and no errors on any attempted backups.

Looked in windows event log but couldn't find anything. Never used this before so not sure what I'm looking for in there really?

Thanks

Rob

I would look in the Event Log for the times the backup is scheduled (last that worked and time of the next that didn't)

Do you have the clear out the 5 before starting the service? What happens if you don't?

Is the folder you're backing up to on the local system?

Hi

Thanks again for your help

Had a look in the Windows event log but can't find anything to do with ACT. Never used this before but tried various tabs and events etc but couldnt find anything around the times that looked like an act backup.

If you could please tell me where to look etc I might be able to find out?

The option in scheduler is selected to only keep the last 5 backups so will overwrite oldest one after that. But only ever seems to create 5 backups when I start the service and then it stops after that instead of creating daily.

The folder act saves the backups too is on the desktop of the server running act scheduler. As said can see the zipped backups in there but only the original 5 that gets created from the start date of act scheduler. Can't see any indication of any overwriting etc.

thanks

Rob

Have you tried removing the files there and trying again?

Also, the desktop isn't always good ... because that can have security permissions issues. Create a folder off a local drive (eg: C:\ACTBackup) and point the scheduler to backup there