Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Sage 2008 Premium Database migration

Act Sage 2008 Premium Database migration

my office been using Act Sage 2008 Premium for years.Before i join the company as IT support, the database was setup on a normal desktop pc. Then i transfer the database by copying the whole Act!2008 folder to the server and share out the folder for my colleage to login. Then i found out there is a problem. i need to turn on the normal desktop pc where my colleage setup the database and server together or else my colleage couldn't login the system. 

i also try to edit the XXX.pad file by using notepad to change the host value to server name and  location value, but the problem still remain.

anyone encounter this problem before?? please advice.

thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Sage 2008 Premium Database migration

What you did won't work.

First install ACT! on the server machine. Then backup the database where it is presently located and do a Restore As of the database in ACT! on the server. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Dear Roy,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

I would like to know. what if i install the act Sage 2008 Premium to the server and using the trial priod to do the restore as. then just leave it for my colleage to continue login and access it. is that ok???

do i need to turn on the act sage 2008 premium on my server for my colleage to login??

thanks and looking forward for your advice.

thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Go ahead and activate it, an extra license is not required. You need to ACT! program on the server for some of the administrative functions. The database is accessed through the MSSQL server so the ACT! program does not need to run for the users to access the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Dear Roy,

i don't really understand what you mean activate it. how to activate act sage 2008 Premuim without extra license??

Do you mean activate it using existing license number? or ....

please advice.

thank you.

You can use your existing license.