Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Pro 2013

Highlighted

Re: Act Pro 2013

ok, so I hopefully can get this done soon when I map, it gave me a column of headings and I used the drop down to chose a heading - which were most exactly the same. Is that right?

OK, I give up - and I NEVER DO!! I just did it all again, very slowly and I even changed the names of 2 fields and it asked me if I wanted to change my layout so I did but still no data even though it shows over 2000 successful.

Can you please tell me where i'm going wrong? it's not a difficult thing to do so maybe the program is messed up?

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Perhaps some screenshots of the steps you're taking might help us to help you?

Highlighted

Now I have converted my spreadsheet into a dbf file and am trying to impor that. It's doing something because the progress bar is ticking along. Not nearly as fast as  the other file types did. If this doesn't work then i DON'T KOW WHAT i'M GOING TO DO. wE JUST CAN'T AFFORD A $99 HONE CALL. SORRY FOR ALL CAPS...KEYBOARD IS STICKING AGAIN.

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Do you have a field that is REQUIRED? and you're not importing into that field? therefore that field is empty and it's rejecting the row. Screenshots? A picture speaks a thousand words.

Highlighted

I THINK I solved the problem. Looks to me like - even though it showed a progress bar and successful results that a CSV file doesn't work. I did the same steps wtih a dbf file and VOILA I have data. I even went it, modified it, deleted some columns, resaved as dbf and imported into another database and those files are there as well.

So, as far as I can tell, and I did it about 20 times today it just doesn't do csv files but it acts like it does. So nice to have wasted an entire day on this. But at least someone repsonded to my pleas this time. Last time I posted here, I got nothing so THANK YOU so much to those that felt I was important enough to answer. I'm willing to send you my csv file if you want to try recreating what I did. Who knows someone else may end up with a quirky problem like I did and maybe you can save them some time by sharing my experience.......LMK

Thanks again,

Roberta

(P.S. Ben, not sure what part of Australia you're from but my son has been touring with an Aussie pop/rock. band for the past month that came here just to go to the South by SouthWest Music and Movie Festival in Texas. The group's name is Lime Cordiale and they're actually making a big impact here playing some smaller gigs in California before they head back to Australia-Google them!.)

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Cool. I'm in Brisbane, which I might humbly add, is the the best place in the world. I see they've been to Byron Bay, been there a number of times when I was younger Smiley Happy.

Highlighted

THanks for taking the time to check into Lime Cordiale! It never ceases to amaze me how often I run into someone that has a connection to something else in my life.....even if it's not a direct conneciton. THe other cool thing is my son took a trip to Australia & New Zealand with his high school symphonic band and they played at the Sydney Opera House and a few other places while there for their almost 3 week trip in 2004. While my son's true interest has always been jazz, he'll play whenever he can and I'd say Aussie rock is a whole new thing but he's loving it.

Anyways, I played around with importing again this morning and I still can't get a csv file to show up in ACT! Again, I follow the steps, get a progress bar and a "successful import" but the data just doesn't show. Someone else had asked if I had a required field and the answer is no. I like to understand why something didn't work so after awhile when I have some free time I'm going to continue to experiement with the csv file and see if I can poinpoint the issue. For now, the imported dbf info is perfect.-it took a few moments to do, and it did it without errors-too bad I didn't try that earlier!!

If I can figure out why it didn't import correctly, I will certainly post it for everyone to understand.

Thanks again,

Roberta

Highlighted

Hi Roy,

In case you didn't see it, I posted that it finally worked!! But, I had to convert my spreadsheet to a dbf file first. Once I tried to import the dbf everything went smoothly and perfectly and it took less than 2 minutes!! I want to understand why the csv didn't work so if you know, please tell me otherwise I plan on playing with it again when I have frree time and then I'll post what I find out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Roberta

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

I've successfully made several imports of text delimited files (csv) into ACT! databases. In my experience there are three main reasons that an import fails: problems with the import file, duplicate checking settings and mapping problems.

Without checking the import file and doing a test import myself there's not much more I can do at this point.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted

Would you like me to send you my csv file and I'm sure you'll see immediately what's wrong since you know the program well.  I did the exact same steps for the dbf that I did the csv but obviously something went wrong somewhere. As I mentioned, the dbf file worked the first time and it was created from the same data file as the SS. I'm in no way a computer pro but I have been running and building adn repairing computers since 88 and this situation just isn't making sense and driving me crazy!! I've converted and transferred many a file but this one got me.

I'd be happy to send you the file. If you prefer not to, I understand.

Roberta