Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Premium v19 Silent Install error "user does not have permission to write to the shared folder"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act Premium v19 Silent Install error "user does not have permission to write to the shared folder"

As the title states, I am getting this error when attempting to run the "SilentInstall.exe" program from the product.

Windows Server 2016

Share has been created and recreated numerous times

I have tried it as a Domain Admin, a standard admin and a normal user with "Full Access" to the share

I have modified both the share permissions as well as the NTFS security permissions

I have ran the exe both "as an administrator" and not
Nothing gets logged in the system logs.  Does the SilentInstall.exe log somewhere?

Thanks for any help

ActSIError1.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author financialITguy
‎04-25-2017 11:04 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act Premium v19 Silent Install error "user does not have permission to write to the shared folder"

Apparently the only way to get this to work is to have permissions set to "Everyone - Full Control" which is ridiculous.

And it's pointless anyways, because once I got it to work, the silent installer installed "Pro" instead of "Premium" (which i'm not even sure how it could have, since the Pro install files do not exist).  It did not take the Serial Number and refused to register with the correct serial number (because Pro instead of Premium).  And to top it all off, it does not add the Uninstall information to the system, so I had to perform a manual uninstall.

What a waste of my time.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author financialITguy
‎04-25-2017 11:04 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act Premium v19 Silent Install error "user does not have permission to write to the shared folder"

Apparently the only way to get this to work is to have permissions set to "Everyone - Full Control" which is ridiculous.

And it's pointless anyways, because once I got it to work, the silent installer installed "Pro" instead of "Premium" (which i'm not even sure how it could have, since the Pro install files do not exist).  It did not take the Serial Number and refused to register with the correct serial number (because Pro instead of Premium).  And to top it all off, it does not add the Uninstall information to the system, so I had to perform a manual uninstall.

What a waste of my time.  

Administrator

Hi financialITguy,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

I have to say, I don't recognise this "SilentInstall.exe" application and the screenshot you posted. I'm curious to know where you found this utility and documentation?

The following Knowledgebase article details the silent install procedure we support: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38490

Copper Super Contributor

It's in the root directory when you unzip the Actv19Premium download; it also launches from the Installation autoplay if you select the option for "Create Installation Script for Multi User Deployments.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Administrator

Hi financialITguy,

After doing some digging, it appears that the "SilentInstall.exe" application is a legacy utility, and could have a couple of problems on newer installations. It's recommended to always use the steps in the Knowledgebase article I posted above.

Are you certain, the option for "Create Installation Script for Multi-User Deployments" in the autoplay launches the SilentInstall.exe? It's supposed to open the Knowledgebase article to show you the recommended silent install procedure.

Sorry for the confusion here.