Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Premium v18 via Web Access BROKEN

Copper Contributor

Act! Premium v18 via Web Access BROKEN

Hi, I'm a long time (10+ years) user of Act Premium, including the web version, and mostly I know what I'm doing (I think!), but installing the SP2 update pack to our v18 has broken the web functionality and I can't figure out what is wrong. 

The Web administration tool reports the error that is in the knowledgebase for Windows 10 as: - 

Error message: 'Unable to test your web server due to the following error: client found response content type of text/html but expected text/xml'

The only difference is we are running Windows Server 2008 which is fully upto date.

The suggested fix (Answer ID 38227) doesn't make any difference, and the log files suggest a permissions error in being unable to load the web.config. file or the applicationhost.config file. However our impersonation user has full administrator rights, and I can't see where the issue is. Copy of the log file is attached.

Incidentally I have tried installing a backup copy of my IIs settings, and also recreating the apfw web site in IIS. Again no joy.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Sheridan

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Premium v18 via Web Access BROKEN

You could try uninstalling the ACT for WEB installation and then doing a fresh install of 18.2 as a single installation as it might get the permissions correct doing this way.

Copper Contributor

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Ok, I have been brave and uninstalled, and reinstalled 18.2 update 4.

No further forward. The Web Admin simply will not recognize/verify my asp.net settings!

I have tried ALL of the knowledgebase articles and none makes any difference.

Have to say my patience is at an end.. what else can I do?

Whish I had not done the xxxxxx update!!!!

Administrator

Hi Sheridan,

If the steps in both KB 38227 and 30280 have been followed exactly, and the issue persists, then I would suggest creating a new Impersonation user and then creating a custom website in IIS for APFW and set this up manually as per the instructions in KB 14868

Are you hosting APFW on a secure (HTTPS) website?

Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary, but unfortunately that didn't work either.

So effectively new web site, new impersonator account with admin rights, registered with permission in the registry... and

It simply brought me back to the same error... yet the logs and error message all point to a permissions issue.

I'm stumped, and I've run out of knowledgebase articles to try. Any other thoughts?

Thank you. Sheridan

Copper Contributor

forget to add... no I'm not hosting on a secure web site. Except, the server is also hosting Windows Server Remote, which is https, but in a separate web site, and separate app pool.

Hi Sheridan, I'm not sure if you've seen this article but you might want to take a look:

What is the Act! Website Creator for IIS and how do I use it? (apfwCreator.exe)

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37455/

The utility attached allows you to create a new website to test, as well as a new Windows administrator. You can also create an empty website to test if you are having problems with IIS before it even gets to Act!.

Copper Contributor

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for this. I have actually seen this utility before, so I've downloaded this latest version and tried again. No luck I'm afraid.

I still get the error 'Unable to test your web server due to the following error: client found response content type of text/html but expected text/xml'

It seems incredibly stubborn on this

Time to put it out of its misery and rebuild the entire server over the so called holiday.

I literally don't know what else to do!

Not only do i hate it, but my wife hates it too... and believe me that is much more serious! :-)

Sheridan
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thought I would look elsewhere for similat errors and found this -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/946788

Just might give you some other clues to follow

Administrator

Hi Sheridan,

I've read over your recent post in this thread. Am I correct in assuming you have now resolved the issue with the error you describe in this thread?