Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Premium v16 - database keeps unsharing itself

Act! Premium v16 - database keeps unsharing itself

I have searched messages in this forum and tried the suggestions that were presented. I have followed through KB articles Share Database Option Does Not Remain Checked in Sage ACT!  and Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall Software with Act!. I have made sure that there is only 1 share for the database - the supplemental files folder. At this point, nothing has worked and I have to manually re-share the database every morning.

The current configuration for the host:

• Windows 7 Professional w/ SP1
  • Intel Core i5-3470
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 5
  • No domain - only workgroup networking
  • Each Act! user has a local standard user account, which has been added to an "Act! Users" group
  • The database has been located in a folder on the root of the drive: C:\ACTData
  • The supplemental files folder for the database under the folder above has been shared
  • The "Act! Users" group has been given full share and NTFS permissions to the supplemental files folder
  • A backup to an external drive has been scheduled every week night at 7PM using the Act! Scheduler

I have dug through all event logs and log files and the only errors I can find are several series of errors for "Act.Outlook.Service.Desktop - Object reference not set to an object".

How do we solve this problem? Having to manually re-share the database every morning is not a good option.

Re: Act! Premium v16 - database keeps unsharing itself

Have you tried permanently running Act! as an Administrator on the host machine(right click the program icon, choose properties, go to the compatibility tab, check Run as Administrator, then click apply) or Disabling User Account Control on the host machine and then sharing it?

If you are unfamiliar with User Account Control, see the following knowledgebase article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25665

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Thank you for the reply.

I have not tried that option yet as I noticed something interesting this morning - the database was still shared.

Yesterday, I remoted in and re-shared the database like I usually do during the week. The only difference is that no maintenance or backup task was scheduled for last night (Sunday). To test this further, I have disabled the Act! Scheduler service to see what happens tomorrow morning, as there is usually a Backup task scheduled Monday through Friday, and a Maintenance task scheduled for Saturday.

After some further testing, I have determined that the Act! Scheduler is the cause of the issue. Simply put, if the Act! Scheduler does not perform any tasks, the database remains shared. As soon as it does run a task, the database becomes unshared.

I will have to look into another method of backing up the data - I cannot rely on having to manually re-share the database every morning.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Intriguing.

Can I ask, is the scheduler service run from Act! where the database is hosted or from one of the peer machines. Are all the machines Windows 7 or 8 or are there also some XP machines connected as peer-to-peer?  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

The scheduler service is run on the host, which runs Windows 7 Pro. All of the peers that connect to it are also running a Windows 7 variant, though there is a mix of Home Premium and Pro. There are no Windows 8 machines on the network, and the only XP machine left is strictly for running a tape backup. The XP machine does not access the Act! database or associated share. It only looks for the backup files that the scheduler produces, which are saved to a share on an external drive attached to the host.

Hi, Did you solve your problem ?