Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Premium for Web shared database access

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act Premium for Web shared database access

We have just recently deployed a new setup of ACT 2009 for Web. We are not having any problems with accessing the system via the web interface. One of our primary users is attempting to layout changes, but this is not possible through the web interface. We decided to install the client on her machine and setup the database (PAD, etc) to be access via a share. The share has been mapped obviously. When we go to access database on the share we get an error.

"Database NAME could not be accessed. In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer on your server."

We started running through this  KB  19640 but have not had any luck. Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cgrant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Premium for Web shared database access

"I load up the client software on the server itself I have problems obviously." - Why "obviously"?

If you can't do that' nothing else will work.

But not that you've said about the share and Win 2008, I can tell you the answer is in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2281...

Also check you haven't added multiple shares as per:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2423...

Always good to post enough info as per:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/how-to-get-faster-technical-support-for.html

View solution in original post

All Replies

It will be one of those options... without knowing much more about your setup and the user's connection, it's not possible to have a better guess.

The user and the server are on the same subnet. The user does not have a firewall. The server (Windows Server 2008) does, but she is access via a windows shared folder which she has mapped on her end. I ran through most things in the KB article listed.

• Permission are full on both ntfs and the share
  • PAD file was checked.
  • Tried both the Premium and Web Premium version of the client on her machine, both matching the version of the server
  • SQL services are started
  • Protocols are enabled in SQL manager 
  • DEP is setup fine
  • Checked for multiple shares
I'm guessing it's reading in the PAD file which then tells it how to reference the SQL database. So I need to add some kind of exception to the firewall? Does I just need to add and inbound rule to the "SQL Service" ? Also, I just noticed that if I go to Tools>Database Maintenance>Share Database  it is grayed out.

Just to be sure, did you look at the issue described in KB 19640 that specifically addresses the Windows Firewall in Server 2008?  This is detailed Microsoft KB 968872

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Ok, I missed one firewall entry, but I've run into another problem. Now I'm getting a new error.

Cannot find database supplemental files DATABASENAME-database files ....

I've tried modifying the PAD file to use the IP under host. I have copied the file locally to the machine and used both the IP and host name in the PAD file there too. I have also tried to open the file by opening ACT first and browsing to it there and also by simply launching ACT by double clicking the PAD files. I've also check permissions on the DATABASENAME-database files folder make sure they were set to Full Controll. No luck yet.

Have you tried all the items in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1987...

Is this the web or full client?

From a workstation or on the server?

What folder is the database in? Putting it in My Docs will usually get that error... if that's where it is, backup, create a folder c:\act and restore (restore_as) to the new folder.

ACT Premium 2009 for Web. I have tried both the Premium for Web client and the regular Premium client. Neither seem to work. The database is in D:\ACT Databases\<DATABASENAME>\   The database is hosted on Windows Server 2008 standar. The client/user is connecting from Windows XP SP3 for which the Act software stated is above is installed. If I load up the client software on the server itself I have problems obviously. For the life of me though I cannot get the database to share under Tools>Database Maintenance>Share Database. It is grayed out here. If I run actdiag and run the database fixes it also shows the database as being unshared.

Solution
Accepted by topic author cgrant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

"I load up the client software on the server itself I have problems obviously." - Why "obviously"?

If you can't do that' nothing else will work.

But not that you've said about the share and Win 2008, I can tell you the answer is in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2281...

Also check you haven't added multiple shares as per:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2423...

Always good to post enough info as per:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/how-to-get-faster-technical-support-for.html

I stated "obviously" because when you install ACT for Web on the server I believe it requires for you to install the client as well. Wasn't trying to be snooty. Sorry. I also mentioned in my second post that it was on Server 2008 and that I had the grayed out Share Database option and that I checked the multiple share possibility. I tried to mention as much pertinent data as possible.

Funny thing is that I tried to run as administrator before to see if UAC was somehow causing the grayed out "Share Database" problem, and it was still grayed out. This time I did it again and behold, not gray out anymore. Shared the database through there and now it appears to be working no matter which way I open it up. 

Here is a picture of cool dog as thanks for your assistance. 

Cool Dog