Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Premium Web hangs on install

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act Premium Web hangs on install

I'm trying to install ACT Premium Web (10.0) but the install program hangs after clicking on the dialog that says "Windows XP only supports 10 users, install anyway?". In looking at the install log in c:\windows\temp I see the following lines (sic):

Microsoft Windows XPwith less than service pack 4 is an unsupported OS.

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect does not exist.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? I am running XP SP2. I installed IIS from the origial CD and then re-installed with SP2 CD. I have reviewed a KB article here on how to manually uninstall the app, but the install hangs so early on in the process there isn't much clean up needed.

Thank you in advance,

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rgray
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act Premium Web hangs on install

Hello and thank you for the reply. After several hours and false leads, the actual problem was that my CD reader was not reading the disk correctly. I shared out a CD drive of another PC on the network and ran the install from that shared CD drive, and it worked perfectly.

Thank you again for the suggestions. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Contributor

Is this XP Home?

Hello and thank you for the suggestion. I am using XP Pro SP2. I uninstalled IIS and then reinstalled without SP2 but this does not make a difference. As you can see in the log file, the install program is looking for the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect

I do not have a NetworkService folder. in Documents and Settings. I ran Filemon to see if there are any permissions issues but it seems like the install simply hangs and I do not see any permissions issues in Filemon.

Any other suggestions? This is very frustrating.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Where is the location of you Documents and Settings folder?  Is it on your C:\ drive or another drive?

If you search the Internet for the error message you are returned:

"C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect does not exist"

You may be able to find possible clues to your issue, as this is not specific to the ACT! product.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Solution
Accepted by topic author rgray
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello and thank you for the reply. After several hours and false leads, the actual problem was that my CD reader was not reading the disk correctly. I shared out a CD drive of another PC on the network and ran the install from that shared CD drive, and it worked perfectly.

Thank you again for the suggestions.