Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Premium Version 10.0

Act! Premium Version 10.0

We've this problem since day one: every instance of ACT!, no matter what computer it's running on, causes a crash when you close the application (and Microsoft loves hearing about it, but never offers a solution.)

Today I applied the 10.0.3 update to all of the machines (all of them running WinXP, SP3) and much to my surprise, it's still doing the same thing.  We can launch Act, use it, but the moment you close the application, we get the same windows again 'ACT! By Sage has encontered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.'  Um yeah, not as sorry as I will be for the next person that dials my extention in this office.

We've tried this on a brand new WinXP system, with nothing on it, fresh installation of ACT! 10.0 (whatever came in the box), and it crashes.  Then we upgraded to the 10.0.3 one (I downloaded the update and applied it) and it does the same thing.

So, now what? Mind you, with the previous version of ACT! this was never an issue.  It only became an issue when we started using ACT! V10.x ...

Re: Act! Premium Version 10.0

Adding to this.  I downloaded the full 10.0.3 installation file (URL from this post from ghollister).  Decided to use my system as the guinea pig and uninstalled ACT! (from Add/Remove Programs...).  I've rebooted the computer, and proceeded to install the newly downloaded 10.0.3 version.  When all was said and done, it's still causing a crash when I exit ACT!.

I've even tried opening the Demo database, thinking maybe it's my database.  No luck, same crash.

This is becoming ridiculous.  No previous version of ACT! ever did this.  It only started with version 10. And it's crashing across all the systems in our office.  This is UNACCEPTABLE.  Considering how many others are complaining about this same crashing issue, you'd think Sage would actually fix the problem

Between this, and the stupid fixed port 25 for e-mail, I have no choice but to start looking for a completley different solution.  If anyone has any suggestions for something else, let me know please.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Given that I have several clients that used or are using 10.0.3 (including my own personal use) and have never encountered the problem you are describing, my assumption is that there is something common to your systems that is conflicting with the ACT! program to cause the problem. Given the things you have tried, it must be something very basic and antivirus or firewall would be the most likely.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That would be easy, wouldn't it?  Except, they're not running either.  Our anti virus is network based, not installed on each individual client.  And they all have firewall turned off.  I have no clue what else to do here or look at.  We've postponed a training that was supposed to happen tomorrow because of this problem.
Nickel Contributor

You probably have .Net vers 2 SP1, if your on XP you can remove it and reinstall it minus the service pack and it should get rid of your error. If this has been done in the past it likely reoccured b/c of windows updates.

There is even a KB article published 8/12 of 2008 that dealt with this issue specifically. KB 22381

Ok, so question then.  Those machines were, at some point, running .NET 2.0 (possible with or without SP2 - not SP1).  However, they have all been upgraded to .NET 3.5 SP1 now.  And the problem still persists.  The old .NET 2.0 hasn't been removed yet (neither has .NET 3.0 SP2).

So my question is, if I remove .NET 2.0 completely, and leave .NET 3.5 (possibly also .NET 3.0), will this error get resolved?  Or do I have to uninstall all the .NET versions, ACT!, reinstall only .NET 3.5 then ACT! again?

Considering how many systems I'd have to do this on, this is not a task I'm looking forward to.

Nickel Contributor

Act doesn't use any version of .Net other than 2.0 regardless of what other versions are installed.

As of right now I see no reason to remove Act.