Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: [Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

[ Edited ]

I've sent an e-mail to software.support@swiftpage.com with links to this topic, the KB articles about the problem, the suggest your idea posts, but to be honest, I'm not holding my breath.

I've received a reply from Switfpage. Not a solution though.

Essentially the reason for this is that Act! uses third party win-form controls which are outdated and do not support large DPIs.

Act! itself supports large DPIs for the most part but is let down by the large number of essentially obsolete third party components which it leverages.

To resolve the issue properly, we’d need to replace all of the controls with updated versions which carries a big development and licensing cost.

Due to a lot of these licenses being long standing, the task of renewing or even cancelling these would be a drawn out process which Sage UK Ltd were not willing to carry out the development.

Another option is to rewrite the UI completely, which I believe is being considered for Act! v17, however at present I cannot guarantee that this will take place. This would also solve the DPI issues seen on Citrix and Terminal Services. This particular long standing issue was highlighted when Swiftpage purchased the Act! product last year.

There is however an add-on which goes some of the way to resolving the issue by essentially hacking the UI. It free and available from: http://www.durkincomputing.com/FreeACTAddons.aspx

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or E-mail.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I'd like to apologise for the inconvenience this issue is causing to you and any other customers with the same problem. Unfortunately the response you've initally received is not fully correct.

We do understand the problem and are actively looking into potential solutions. One immediate possibility is to modify your layout as discussed by phone and suggested by other participants in this thread. I appreciate this is a workaround, however until we establish another solution this is your best option to to help minimise the impact on your business.

Please let us know if this improves your experience.

Simon Hales
Sr. Commercial Marketing Manager
Swiftpage
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't mean to promo my wares here, but BigActLayouts.com is a great solution for this issue..

I designed them for displays that were 17 inch and larger.

I do not know how, but they looked awesome on a 15" laptop running windows 8.1 and ACT!v16 Pro just last week.

We cannot guarantee them to look awesome on a 15inch display even though last week I saw them work well.

That particular customer also purchased a 22 inch display to attach to his laptop.

Check out the website and WATCH the install video to see if Big Layouts for ACT! is right for you..

The youtube video player will allow you to change video quality settings to 1080HD for best viewing quality.

www.bigactlayouts.com  Cheers - FSB  Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
Backup your ACT! Databases DAILY using ACT! / File/ Backup/ Backup Database.(Include Attachments).
Also - FREE - BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors http://www.fillstaffhr.com/bigaldl01.html
Also - FREE - BullZip PDF Printer - Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Highlighted

I have the same issue, Medium 125% makes it usable but stinks to have to change the settings back to large when you want to see your other programs....Come on ACT~!

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

There is a new version of our DPI fixer posted a few months ago. Using this latest build and setting the "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI setting" seems to be working for well over 90% of the users who have tried.

Also there are users you stated setting the DPI to 117% works well in Act!

DPI_Issue.png

http://www.durkincomputing.com/FreeACTAddons.aspx

Thanks for all the input!

-- Jim Durkin

Highlighted

This setting works great! THANK YOU!

Highlighted

This issue is getting more and more common, and instead of telling customers they can make the layout themselves for high DPI modes like 3200 x 1800. (ASUS Zenbook UX303LN).

Wouldnt it be an idea to make some layouts ready for customers with those high resolution screens ???

as far as we know there is layouts for 1024x768 and 800x600, these are screen resolutions that havent been defactor for more then 6 years, maybe even 10.

Looking forward to a solution in the near near future.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bump.  Act has very very bad problems on high res displays, which are the standard now.  I have actually had to recommend to clients looking for new computers to find one with a low res display, they are increasingly hard to find.

Act v16.1

Windows 8.1

Brand new Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

Default Resolution: 3200x1800

Default "Larger or Smaller" (DPI terms are obsolete in windows 8): Largest, which I believe is 250% zoom

1 hour+ of troubleshooting included every combination of the following:

- Lowering resolution

- Setting compatibility Disable Display Scaling on High DPI

- Changing "make text and icons larger or smaller" settings to smallest

- 100% zoom (which is not default - 250% is default)

- Durkin's add-on

Certain combos of these changes worked better than others.  The calendar is not usuable in any settings.  Changing any of the resolution or scaling options severely ruined all other visual aspects of windows - micro icons, humongous text on tiny windows, icons hiding on desktop, etc.

I have had similar luck trying to help multiple users get act on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.  Act simply just does not work on high res displays, i.e. all displays built after 2012. 

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com
Highlighted

Trying to use your DPI fixer on a machine running ACT v17 and Windows 8.1 but the settings never seem to save. Specific problem I'm focusing on at the moment is the space for the tabs is tiny but the text is big. So I'm trying to set the Tab Font but it never saves. Tried running as admin too but that didn't help.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hello daileng;

This info is about a month old;

Hi Bill, thanks for the quick support call followup.  You solved my problem.

The Big ACT! Layouts is a fantastic product for a big monitor.  It makes those little dinky fields I was squinting at for so long a thing of the past.  I can highly recommend this product. Simple easy to use solution for a big problem.  Thanks.  
 Warmest regards,

---  You may need to uninstall that dpi fixer before my product will work - cheers - Bill www.bigactlayouts.com 

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
Backup your ACT! Databases DAILY using ACT! / File/ Backup/ Backup Database.(Include Attachments).
Also - FREE - BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors http://www.fillstaffhr.com/bigaldl01.html
Also - FREE - BullZip PDF Printer - Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php