Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: [Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

[ Edited ]

I understand your disappointment with the dpi issue but don't let that stop you from enjoying ACT! Today. We've taken a week to talk about it but now let's do something to see if we can make it better than it is? People buy small devices but want big screens and big text. You bought a new 15" laptop. Return it for a 17" widescreen laptop. Or do this with your 15" screen

Insure your dpi settings are 96.

Then Edit your ACT! Layouts and increase the field font sizes to perhaps 12 and stretch the fields out as far as possible and/or re-arrange fields on Layouts to get the most out of your available 17" screen space.

Then if needed, edit your Preferences( Colors and Fonts TAB ) and adjust font sizes as needed for the various other pieces of ACT!.

You can do all this in less than 1 hour.

Do it just like I did Big ACT! Layouts that works great for 17"+ wide screen displays - screenshot at www.bigactlayouts.com

If you need increased font sizes for other stuff such as Web Browser or office stuff there are simple ways to magnify those views.

IE WebBrowser has a Status Bar option seen in lower rite corner of browser that lets you easily magnify your view.

That is how you can easily make the most of your small device display challenge using ACT! today.

Hope this helps - Cheers - FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
Backup your ACT! Databases DAILY using ACT! / File/ Backup/ Backup Database.(Include Attachments).
Also - FREE - BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors http://www.fillstaffhr.com/bigaldl01.html
Also - FREE - BullZip PDF Printer - Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

How about we stop trying to use work arounds for a fundamental problem that has existed this long. Workarounds relieve some of the pressure from Swiftpage (and Sage before them) to actually fix this issue.

Returning a perfectly fine laptop and paying more to get more screen realestate but less portability just because they haven't fixed a 7 year old bug? That's a horrible solution which would not only cost us more money, but also time seeing as we've already completely configured this laptop. We're seeing ultrabooks with 2560x1440 resolutions, regular desktop monitors with this resolution. Wake up people it's not 2005 anymore. 1920x1080 is not a resolution that's exclusive on 22"+ monitors anymore. heck my 5" smartphone display has 1920x1080 resolution. 4K is around the corner. And while many laptop manufacturers might still hold true to 1366x768 (which is a horrible resolution by the way) for their budget devices. Any decent laptop will at least have a 1920x1080 resolution.

Setting DPI settings to 100% (or 96 for vista and lower) is NOT an option. Act is not the only application we use. (but it is the only application that has this problem.)

As I've mentioned before, it's probably impossible to fix this issue without breaking support with the current layouts. (and layout system.) But this needs to be done.

Heck it should probably be possible to switch to WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and write a converter that translates current layout files into XAML. But again, this shouldn't have been in an issue in 2014.

I have only had about 3 and a half years of experience with Act since this is my first job using it, but this piece of software has given us more problems than all other software we use combined.

I've also had the feeling that, as Ben mentioned before, that there seems to be little interest in fixing existing bugs and they'd rather add bells and whistles so companys like ours can cough up another 8000€ each year to upgrade our users.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

My solution was not a work around. These are specific customizeable feature capabilities of ACT! that add to it's power so users can have it their way. You now have options until Swiftpage addresses the issue. Best Wishes - FSB Smiley Happy  

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
Backup your ACT! Databases DAILY using ACT! / File/ Backup/ Backup Database.(Include Attachments).
Also - FREE - BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors http://www.fillstaffhr.com/bigaldl01.html
Also - FREE - BullZip PDF Printer - Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Actually by definition it is a work around. It does not solve the bug but rather works around it in another way. And as said, changing DPI back is not an option seeing as Act is NOT the only program we use. Bringing the laptop back is also not a realistic option.
Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Europower,

We agree completely with you on this one, it would be nice to see a resolution to the problem.

In the mean time, I don't know if this is helpful to you, but one of our Clients has reported that they still have normal Act! functionality with their DPI set at 117%.  Any higher and it causes problems.

It's still a compromise I know, but hopefully might allow you to remain productive.

*EDIT*

Here is a link showing where to find the option to set a custom DPI : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html

Kind Regards

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Just tried at 117, 115, 110 and 105% but that didn't seem to work. Only at 100% do the missing buttons (like the ones at the phone number) become visible again. We haven't had a single post by an Act employee in this thread yet. Seems like they really do want to ignore this problem.
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Hello all,

I am working on DPIFixer today and the rest of this week. Along with known issues users  sent I am also adjusting for act! 16.1.

For all who sent screen shots and configuration thank you. I will send a new build when completed.

If you have not sent me a screen shot and configuration please do asap.

jim@durkincomputing.com

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Still no reply from SwiftPage in this topic? In the Sage days it seemed like there were at least a few more Act people active on the forum.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Bumping this one up again.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I don't think they would care. Maybe they will solve it on next version. So you have to buy the next version.