Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

Copper Contributor

[Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

We just bought a new laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 15" display at 1920x1080 resolution. The laptop's DPI setting is set to 125% by default, by good reason, stuff is extremely small at 100%.

This issue has been reported more than 5 years ago, but it seems like Sage, and now Swiftpage hardly care about this.

Let me make this clear: Displays will not stay at low resolutions forever. There will only be more and more displays with ever increasing resolutions in the future. This should have been a top issue in 2009, yet it has only gone ignored.

I personally haven't had a good experience posting issues on these forums, so even now I pretty much know this is wasted time and a useless effort. Nothing will be done about this issue, V17 will be released in a years time and it'll have some random minor additions which hardly anyone ever cared about, and key issues like the DPI issue will remain unfixed. This is what I've come to expect of Act, but it'd be great if I were to be proven wrong for once....

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: [Act Premium V16!] High DPI Issues

Hi,

it might be a good idea for all users that want this fixed, to go to the share idea section and look for the following entry...

http://community.act.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas/Support-for-font-sizes-over-100/idi-p/252191

(this entry was created 2013, and only 19 users did vote for it)

and add a kudo, as more this is done you will probably see that this will be fixed in one of the next versions.

also, you can see there, that durkin did provide a free addon, to fix this issue... (i never did try it, but it might help you out)

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found knowledgebase articles relating to this error dating back as early as 2007. That's 7 years with only a crappy workaround being offered that fixes nothing. There have been several idea-exchange posts for this issue (From 2009, 2010, 2 from 2013) and nothing happened.

Durkin's addon only worsened the problem in my tests. Suddenly fonts were made so small they were even smaller than at 100%. Things were unreadable.

There have been posts in the idea-exchange with more kudo's than this which pretty much just got ignored. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

Besides as I said, this problem isn't going to fix itself, more than that, it's only going to worsen. Displays with a higher resolution at smaller sizes are going to become more and more common thus needing higher DPI settings in windows. This should have been a priority issue long ago, without anyone in the community even asking.

All other software we have, including our own software (and our own Act Plugins) handles the DPI change without problem. It therefore baffles me that a software package we pay so much money for (Act is, outside of SolidWorks, the most expensive software package we use) can't handle the change in DPI.

Add to that the fact that this issue is apparantly known since 2007 (and possibly earlier) and has received attention on the forum (several threads about the issue), on the knowledgebase (several articles surrounding the issue), on the idea exchange...

You get my point, if that doesn't get them to do anything, what will? Pitchforks and torches and an angry mob outside their main office?

I've long felt that Act has been mainly abandoned and only given the bare attention to be kept running. Only very minor changes between every version, so they can "justify" charging what they do for licenses. If you add to that, the fact that you can almost get a new version of Windows (a complete operating system) AND Office (a full productivity suite), for the same price as the yearly upgrade cost, I'm left wondering where all that money is going. Certainly not being invested in fixing 7 year old bugs...

Bronze Super Contributor

I have a new release of DPI fixer coming out next week. You issue sounds similar to one which I am working on.

Can I get some information? Can you send me a screen shot?

What hardware are you running? What OS? What resolution setting 125 or 150?

You can send me an email at support@durkincomputing.com.

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Contributor

Hardware: - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 540 - Intel i7 4702MQ - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD + 16GB Caching SSD - 15.6" 1920x1080 display - Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Nvidia GeForce GT 740M Running Windows 7 Professional X64 Dutch at 125% DPI Settings. Have already uninstalled so can't send a screenshot, but the problem was pretty much that text seemed to be getting smaller and smaller with every login. Especially the Activity view. I think I saw the problem described in one of the idea-exchange posts about this problem. Thing is though: I really think Swiftpage themselves should be fixing this issue. A plugin is nice, and certainly if it's free, it's a nice gesture to the community and all, but this is a major problem in the software package.
Bronze Super Contributor

Nickel Elite Contributor

If you are visualy challlenged such as myself, recommend using a 17" laptop  or attaching a 2nd larger monitor to your laptop,

then try www.bigactlayouts.com   - hope this helps - cheers - FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Not visually challenged, but the laptop will be used at different locations. I can't have our user lugging around a 24" monitor everywhere she goes just because Act can't fix a bug that has existed for over 7 years. From what I've read about the issue, it's quite the easy fix really. For Act it will probably mean they will have to redo or rework their entire layout system though. But again, they've had more than enough time to do that.
Bronze Super Contributor

EUROPOWERGenerators wrote:
...it's quite the easy fix really. For Act it will probably mean they will have to redo or rework their entire layout system though. But again, they've had more than enough time to do that.

Not sure it's easy for the dev team to do this for Act!, but I do agree that there has been more than enough time. From what I understand it's a matter or prioritising resources.

In years past, bugs like this are seen as taking lots of time, for a percieved 'low gain'. But "new features sell products" appears to have been the thinking. We can now see how that's turned out.

Copper Contributor

Slightly more than a week. No response from Act itself yet. They've probably chosen to ignore this forum topic.

I've tried reinstalling Jim Durkin's DPI fixer to take some screenshots of what the problem is when using it.

This is with the DPI fixer installed.

This is without it installed.

Without looks nearly usable but the buttons at the phone fields are gone. We also use Samsung XChange which should also show calling buttons so users can automatically have their phone dial the contact's number. Those buttons are gone too.

Come on Swiftpage. Show us you're not going to be like Sage and ignore problems like these.