Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Premium - Network Sync Service will not start - Errors

Copper Contributor

Act! Premium - Network Sync Service will not start - Errors

I have Act! Premium 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 installed on Win XP SP3.

The Network Sync service will not start.

I get the following errors in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date:  6/15/2009
Time:  7:37:57 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: NO1
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the ACT! Network Sync Service service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date:  6/15/2009
Time:  7:37:57 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: NO1
Description:
The ACT! Network Sync Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Things I've tried:

- Reinstalled Act! and Network Sync

- Unchecked Accept Incoming Syncs

- Tried the ACT11Demo.PAD

- Changed port numbers

I don't know what else to try.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act! Premium - Network Sync Service will not start - Errors

Presuming that you are in a domain environment, possibly install Network Sync Services on a another machine using the same logon as you installed on the failed machine, presumably Administrator and see how that goes. The outcome of that may be a pointer to what the problem is on the original machine. Network Sync Services can operate on a machine other than where the database is hosted. It is just a service. You have taken the right troubleshooting steps to this point. My guess, and that's all it is, is a permissions issue or some impeding software product, anti-virus softwrae or similar that is stopping the service starting.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Thanks gleo. I will try your suggestion and post results.

It used to work. I don't know what changed. I can't think of any changes made to the computer. Maybe a MS update caused issue.

Bronze Elite Contributor

We find that Network Sync Service is reliable, in itself, once you get it installed and running a few days. If there is a problem it is most likely an external cause not the actual application failing. Yes Windows updates is another consideration, we have found Windows updates can cause issues with SQL but I can't think of any thing affecting NetworkSync Service due to recent Windows updates.   

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

I installed Network Sync on a different computer and used MS Update and the service did start OK.

Back to the drawing board... Where do I look to find out what is keeping the service from starting on the original computer?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Choices are to use Sync Service on the alternative machine of try and fix it on the original. There is nothing in particular I can think of it is a general shedding of things that could affect the service starting until you come across the culprit.  What is the difference between machines. Try starting the original by dumping everything running under startup to test, use msconfig. Uninstall anti-virus or spyware applications and uninstall sync service. Cold boot. Reinstall sync services and try.  

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

I tried disabling all unnecessary start up items and services but it did not make any difference. I finally gave up and re-imaged the partition with a snapshot from the previous month.

Problem solved. Just wish I could have found the conflict.

Thanks for the support!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Nuke and pave...Why make life more complex???

Graeme Leo

Copper Contributor

I cannot seem to find a solution for this. I have had this happen at least 5 times now. Each time I have had to re-image my hard drive with an image that was taken before this problem occurred.

My Windows Application Event Viewer log is NOT full. I tested as instructed from this KB article: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2021...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to find out what is causing this?

Even a fresh install of Act! and the Network Sync does not solve the problem and I have not installed any new software or MS updates.

Bronze Elite Contributor

You advised earlier that the service willl work on an alternate machine, how long did you test for on the alternate machine?. When you image the old build you are possibly copying across the old environment which is the cause of the problem. What about MS Windows Updates, does it coincide with that happening? How long approximately after a re-image does it work before failure? Did the test time on the alternate machine exceed the average time to failure? In the Event logs, either System or Application what other relevant events are occuring prior to failure? That is prior to the  occurence of the Event log message you posted earlier?

Graeme Leo