Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Act! Premium]Limits on the SQL server.

Copper Contributor

[Act! Premium]Limits on the SQL server.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Lately we've been encountering a problem in Act when our database seems to grow past a certain size (seems to be 1.56GB give or take a few hundred megabytes).

At that point Act slows down to a complete crawl. If someone goes to a history-heavy record (17 000 history items for example), history no longer appears. The SQL Server will be peaking at over 50% CPU useage on the server (usually never peaks over 20%).

If we perform a "Check and repair" on the database the problem dissapears (as the database seems to shrink due to the reindexing) for a while untill it grows back to the previous size again.

From what I can see we aren't hitting any size limit in SQL Server 2008R2 Express seeing as databases should be able to go up to 10GB. We are hitting the RAM limit of 1GB, but after a reindex our db is still over 1GB in size so that shouldn't make the difference, or should it?

We have around 16 000 contacts in our database, 26 000 if you include secondaries. We have slightly over a million history items and that number is growing by about 10% each year. We have 30 users in act with around 15 to 25 active at a single time.

My question is to act users and consultants alike:

Is our database large, or have you seen larger.

At what point do you suggest going from a SQL Server Express version to a full version? Would this solve our problems?

We're also looking at archiving data to another server as an option, seeing as a full SQL server license can be quite expensive.

I'd like to hear stories and or experiences of other people with databases this size (or larger).

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: [Act! Premium]Limits on the SQL server.

EUROPOWERGenerators wrote:

From what I can see we aren't hitting any size limit in SQL Server 2008R2 Express seeing as databases should be able to go up to 10GB. We are hitting the RAM limit of 1GB, but after a reindex our db is still over 1GB in size so that shouldn't make the difference, or should it?

Express as you've pointed out has a file size limit of 10GB and a RAM limit of 1GB. 

In practice what you'll see in task manager is that the sql server .exe process will sit at around 1.4 or 1.5 GB when it's maxing out.

If you watch the performance of the system and the amount RAM that process consumes you'll notice the performance drops off the cliff once the process hits that 1.4/1.5 mark.

In short, it'll be the RAM limit that you're hitting.

Going to SQL STD will fix this, 

or you can reduce the size of the DB.

Ben.