Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Premium Dashboard Issues - [RESOLVED]

Accepted Solution Solved
Employee
Accepted Solution

Act! Premium Dashboard Issues - [RESOLVED]

[ Edited ]

AUG-08-26 - We are aware that Dashboards may be partly inoperative as the 3rd Party that provides our Dashboard chart component has disabled the version we purchased.

The issue is only currently affecting the Gauge Chart display type. If you are affected by this issue, changing your chart display type to another type, i.e. Pie Chart is the suggested temporary workaround.

We are currently in discussions with the vendor to see what can be done to restore service and to resolve the issue going forward.

More news as it happens.

Bob Breeding

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎08-12-2016 09:06 AM
Administrator

Re: Act! Premium Dashboard Issues - August 08, 2016

[ Edited ]

An update has now been pushed live. It has been live since yesterday morning for new installs, and has just been posted in the Download Center: http://www.act.com/resources/downloads

Below are direct downloads for the update:

Both of these will resolve the dashboard defect D-04297 for their respective versions.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bronze Super Contributor

Another example of SP planning ahead...?!

I don't believe it.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

I think for us this is just about the last straw.

Back in the days befoe Sage brought Act the product never caused us any significant problems.

Then Sage took over and the product became more of a liability than an asset - remember the first few SQLserver versions anyone?

When Swiftpage took over I'd hoped that we'd at last see an improvement in the product, but no the comedy just runs on.

The product now seems to be in continual catch up mode vis a vis Windows, integration with Office regularly breaks and even on my twin processor Xeon workstation running on SSD's Act runs like a dog on crutches.

Of all the applications we run (things like SAS and Oracle!) Act is by far and away the worst. Can it be so difficult to make such a simple piece of software robust - seems not!

It's fine to say "the 3rd Party that provides our Dashboard chart component has disabled the version we purchased" but it it just points up the risk of using Act for anything. Are we supposed to believe that the 3rd party just woke up one morning and decided to disable the software component for Act?

I've headed over to the SoftwareFX website to see what the situation appears to be from their side and there seems to be no issue for anyone else.

Could it simply be that the module Act incorporates was just end of lifed and no replacement licence was obtained?

Would a solution look like paying to licence the current Software FX version? (unless it's incompatible with the supported version of ACT).

As you say David (Shaw) - I don't believe it.

No, on secord thoughts I do believe it because it's just what I've come to expect of the Act product!

I've now been able to source an acceptable alternative application which will work for us (it's business sector specific for financial services) and we are going to begin the switchover in September.

We expect there to be two issues with migration, unloading the old data from ACT and that the replacement system is Italian language.

That said, it will be net beneficial to our business to finally get rid of Act even if we have to make a clean start with data and translate the screens into English (luckily English is less verbose than Italian so there won't be screen space issues).

Administrator

Just a quick update on this:
The issue is only currently affecting the Gauge Chart display type. If you are affected by this issue, changing your chart display type to another type, i.e. Pie Chart is the suggested temporary workaround.

I've updated this information into the original post.
The issue has been logged as defect D-04850.

Here is my email direct to Bob Breeding

Bob,

We used to be very happy users of Act 6 and we were delighted when Sage bought the product and announced the future migration to SQLserver…..and that was the last time we were happy with the Act product.

After the takeover the first 3 versions of the SQLserver versions of the product were a disaster – even Sage refunded our licence fees for 2 years so they must have accepted that the product was flawed.

At that time we had intended to roll out Act to 70 French regional offices but, because of the instability of the product and the apparent inability of Sage to deliver working software, we commissioned a piece of bespoke software which we continue to use in France.

We did however stick with ACT in the UK for a specific application. Since then we’ve seldom had a 3 month run when something in Act hasn’t broken – quite often the same issue (eg integration with Office).

Because we are an online financial services business and use software from Oracle and SAS we need to keep our systems up to date and also run high power workstation class machines in the offices.

Act regularly lags behind Microsoft and other releases and it’s never been acceptable that we have had to keep at least 2 down level machines to give Act time to catch up. It also runs like a dog, despite the machines it runs on.

This latest issue has just been the final straw – it will be cheaper and easier for us to just kick Act out of our architecture and switch to using the same Italian language software we use in Italy.

There seems to be absolutely prospect of the Act product becoming stable enough to be useable in our business – a great shame but the Act development team appear to have been completely blind to the product’s deficiencies since about 2006.

So finally, enough is enough and I’m going to get Act out of our business,

Best regards,

[ Edited ]

Gary, I don't want a workaround I want a working product - is that too much to ask. Right up to around 2006 it seemed to be possible for the product to work so why not now? OK, many bells and whistles have been added but they seem to be at the expense of having a core stable product. I'd rather have a solid and stable long term product than a host of bells and whistles on a flaky product.

No excuses, the product needs fixing!

The ever professional support team are actively on the case: "Thank you for your Email to Act! Technical Support. At the moment the issue has no expected resolution date." Good to know they are able to maintain a consistent level of service.Robot Frustrated

Employee

We've traced this issue to an incorrect license type we were issued for the Gauge Control by the supplier. They have sent us a corrected license and R&D is currently preparing Act! 18.1 Update 5 and Act! 18.2 Update 2. We expect to make this update available today or tomorrow. 10-AUG-2016 or 11-AUG-2016 (MST).

Bob

Bob Breeding

Well it's now just about CoB Europe on 12-AUG-2016 and ther'e no sign of the fix as yet.

Is this just another Act promise "we'll fix it, honest"?