Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

Copper Contributor

Re: Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

thank you Gary, I hope it's sooner than later...

Silver Super Contributor

I just tried this and the Act! window is very small.  Act! doesn't appear to adjust the size of Act! on my system.  Did you change your DPI settings of the monitor?

Stan 

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

I tried:

...ere are the steps to adjust the DPI settings built within the act!.exe file:

1. Download Resource Hacker (tool used to make edits and recompile .exe files). http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
2. Make a copy of the file c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act for windows\Act!.exe as a backup before making any edits
3. Launch Resource Hacker and open the file c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act For Windows\Act!.exe
4. Branch out the “Manifest” folder on the left-pane of resource hacker window
5. Click on the 1 : 0 manifest in the left-pane window
6. On the right-pane, right before the <trustinfo> tag you will add the following:

That didn't work/help

Copper Contributor

Make sure you did the edits in Resource Hacker as an administrator as it may not have overwritten the original file. Can you open the edited Act!.exe file in Resource Hacker to see if the changes are in fact still there after you saved the file? Also, don't forget to compile it first before saving by clicking on the green arrow in the tootlbar.

Lastly, make sure you check the properties of the Act!.exe file by right clicking on the file, go to properties then check the "Compatibility" tab and ensure "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is not checked. It should be unchecked.

This is working flawlessly for me on my 4k laptop. You may also need to reboot your computer to clear out any cache. Also, any updates you apply of Act will result in you having to redo these edits.
Copper Contributor

Did you uncheck the box in the file's properties/compatibility tab where it says "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"?  I have my 4k laptop set to the native resolution and the recommended DPI settings of 250%.  As long as you're using the recommended resolution on your high resolution display and the recommended DPI setting, it should work just fine.

Copper Contributor

Here's my entire Act!.exe file Manifest settings.  Confirm you have the same in your file when editing in resource hacker.  If you do, then you've missed one of the steps such as unchecking that box in the file's properties-compatibility tab.  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
<!-- Indicate JDK is high-dpi aware. -->
<asmv3:application>
<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<dpiAware>false</dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used this manifest and it worked!!!  You're going to make a lot of people very happy!

The issue was that there was another little change to the manifest that you didn't include in your previous post.  You should probably go back and edit it.

The part highlighted in blue wasn't included in your original instructions but when replacing the whole thing with yours worked I went back and compared the two.

=====================================================================================================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
<!-- Indicate JDK is high-dpi aware. -->
<asmv3:application>
<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<dpiAware>false</dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

======================================================================================================

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

I can confirm that this fix works with both Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 4 both set at the highest possible resolution and at the recommended scaling level of 150 and 200 respectively.

This should be easy to implement in a hotfix. If it is going to take weeks I suggest pinning this fix so that it is prominent.

Run Resource Hacker as ADMINISTRATOR. As pointed out above, the original code was incomplete. A later post has the correct code to use.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Also tested on lower res machines just to make sure it is compatible. All seems to work well.

A huge thank you to all who help resolve this issue. 

Copper Contributor

There may be a problem changing the ACT.EXE. I have been unable to connect ACT! to Reckon Accounts because the Certificate is invalid. Could this be because the file has been changed?

If anyone can explain how this works I would be grateful.

BTW I use and excellent addin called XACT Link to connect clients billing and time billing between ACT! and Reckon Accounts.