Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

Copper Contributor

Re: Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

I would be prepared to try anything... Let me know the best way to get a hold of you or we can do PM through the forum.

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Curious but in the release notes for v17.1, Swiftpage lists the following:

· Improve Accessibility on High Resolution Monitors

o Purpose: Machines with Large Fonts (High DPI) settings can have problems with display

What improvements did they make for high DPI displays? it's unusable on any relatively high quality display without lowering the resolution down quite drammatically

This issue is starting to be a real nuisance for me.  I've contacted a few other CRM providers but I'm just so vested in Act I was really hoping there would be a solution or work around by now. 

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Regarding v17.1 changes:

@SMorrison wrote:

This update focussed on two pieces of broken functionality due to display settings: -

• Ellipses buttons or dropdown lists missing from detail views
  • Tabs in detail views unusable

While these defects were mainly reported against Microsoft Surface devices, the changes also resolved these issues on other tablets or PCs with specific display settings.

Taken from @SMorrison's post in this thread.

Employee

I don't know if this works on a 4k monitor, however I have seen this fix issues on how Act! displays on Windows 8 and 10 PC's with high DPI, and may be worth a try if you haven't done so already.

If you right click on the Act! desktop icon shortcut, click "properties", then "compatibility" tab and tick the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 

Employee

Please try the above step.. And you can set DPI to 125% when you try the above step for a better view. You can increase it later based on your comfort levels.. You can alsoadjust resolution ..
Copper Contributor

has there been any more work on this issue? changing screen resolution is not an option (to 1200 x 800 as suggested) - it's way to fuzzy, and doesn't really help. Disabling the DPI via compatibility settings has a minor positive effect, but the text boxes, alarms, and various buttons are still very tiny. moving the percentage as suggested makes everything very tiny - like incredibly tiny, and not workable.

Copper Contributor

Since there has been silence, I'm guessing no progress with high resolution screens (which are becoming the norm vs. the exception).

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

* CORRECTED JAN. 16TH 2015 - WORKING SOLUTION

I was able to find a work around solution but you'll need to do this every time you've updated Act with a hotfix or update:

Here are the steps to adjust the DPI settings built within the act!.exe file:

1. Download Resource Hacker (tool used to make edits and recompile .exe files). http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
2. Make a copy of the file c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act for windows\Act!.exe as a backup before making any edits
3. Launch Resource Hacker and open the file c:\program files (x86)\Act\Act For Windows\Act!.exe
4. Branch out the “Manifest” folder on the left-pane of resource hacker window
5. Click on the 1 : 0 manifest in the left-pane window
6. On the right-pane, replace all of the text there with the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>
<!-- Indicate JDK is high-dpi aware. -->
<asmv3:application>
<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<dpiAware>false</dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

7. Once you’ve added those changes, click the green play arrow icon in the toolbar to compile, you should get a message saying compiling was successful
8. Save the file (ensure you have proper permissions to over-write or save the file)
9. Reboot computer to ensure any cached version is removed from memory.
10. Launch Act and you’re set.

A couple of points. Ensure Act! Is closed before doing the above steps. Also, ensure you remove any compatibility settings you changed in the properties of Act!, for example, some users have enabled the “Disable Display Scaling on high DPI Settings” in the file properties / compatibility tab of Act!.exe. You’ll want to reset those to the default setting before executing.

Administrator

Hi dandw2,

Here's a recent post by @SMorrison that details the issue a little more with some further explanation on why it happens, and what we're doing to address it.

@SMorrison wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We've posted some further details about this issue on other threads, but I thought this would be useful to share here as it’s becoming increasingly important for us to resolve.

As some background to the problem, we made a decision earlier in the life of Act! around the technology we use to display it. While this was the best option at the time, the higher resolutions and advanced display options allowed by modern hardware and operating systems can cause issues. Basically Act! doesn't always ‘scale’ correctly to fit the display.

In recent update we've made product improvements where possible and as mentioned above in this thread there some workarounds which can help, however the user interface of Act! needs to be rewritten to fully resolve the issue. This is significant development work which can only be delivered in a major release (as opposed to a hotfix or service pack), however we are currently researching this. As soon as we have further information or timelines we'll be sure to update all related forum posts and announce this to customers.

I hope this information helps.

Stuart 

Copper Contributor

thank you - I will give it a shot.