Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

Noted, thank you.

Appears that DPI scaling is still a moving target, as it has been for years. It doesn't help our customers but perhaps you can understand why Microsoft hasn't made this a simple issue to resolve.

18.1 is still in development so we'll investigate further.

Bob Breeding
Silver Super Contributor

I have the latest update installed and it looks fine on my Microsoft Surface at 3000x2000.  What sort of issues with scaling are you seeing?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

With latest Windows Build all the old problems returned. Tiny text in text boxes, oversized windows, unusable calendar with multiple mini calendars.

Setting are full resolution and 200X but problem does not go away at smaller scalings.

Uninstalled and reinstalled ACT!. Hot Fixed. Repaired DB. used DPI patch - checked Manifest in exe file. Used ACTDIAG to delete preferences.Rebooted - several times.

Similar problem on Surface Pro 2 but mostly testing Surface Pro 4.

Other programs all scale well - even older programs that were fixed using the same Manifest trick. Seems isolated to ACT!

Rolled back to previous Windows build and everything worked again. Re-installed newest Windows version and problem returns.

Not sure I can work out any other possible solutions. Checked drivers and they all look okay but would expect so since all other programs are working correctly.

While current problem is located with the latest Windows iteration, I am puzzled that it only effects ACT! Searching other forums it may be something to do with the coding language underlying ACT!. Seems that some languages are not being supported as MS want the world to move on. Makes sense when you consider ACT!s history of being passed on from company to company. Perhaps a total rewrite is necessary.

I have also reported problem to MS and will see if any solutions appear on their forums.

Copper Contributor

@stan

Have you updated to the Thursday/Friday Windows 10 release? The earlier Threshold Preview worked okay except for some memory management issues that resulted in more reboots.

Silver Super Contributor

Are you running a preview build?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Preview Build 14257 out Thursday/Friday.

Rolled back to previous build and it worked again. Had to use ACTDIAG to clear preference files to get things working again.

As noted above other programs worked with no problems.

Reporting to let people know and to flag it for Swiftpage as 18.1 may not fix things for very long.

Thought it was related to to the build but you said it was working for you so wondered what was different?

Silver Super Contributor

I looked up the version number and it does look like you are using the latest preview build.  I also saw that they did some work on DPI display properties so perhaps they broke something that they will fix in the next update.  I'm not on the Windows 10 fast ring update schedule.  The way the manifest fix works is that it basically tells the application to ignore DPI settings and let Windows handle them.  So if it doesn't look right after the Windows update then I'd say Windows is probably doing something wrong in this case.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Elite Contributor

I tried to fetch a review build today and got dead 404 links from the insider site. Hmm.
Bob Breeding
Copper Contributor

Yes I agree.

Don't now if this will get MS attention. I reported it but I guess it depends if it is limited to ACT! and whether others flag it as an issue.

Happy to wait for next round which may only be a week as they seem to be fast tracking things at the moment. These are core updates and I think they are rewriting the memory handling and other core bits to step further into one CORE for all machine types.

Reading other groups I have found that these dpi issues relate to developers not following MS guidelines (years old now) and the fact that api development is not supporting certain programing languages. Spoke with a developer of another program the other day and he said he had to rewrite his program with the new specifications. Sounded like he had to do it in a more updated language. He said it involved a lot of code.

Bronze Contributor

I am seeing the same issue on a client's brand new squeaky clean win10 Machine. After running the dpi fix it is completely unusable. It almost looks like the client did some custom settings that changing text to 200x  does not override. Or that may be what the win update did - broke the text override. And we too are seeing "most" apps working fine. Must say Quickbooks suffers from the same issues as does Quicken.  I believe they also use .Net so that may be the culprit. Which by the way is a Microsoft development environment. MS has been known to break their own world.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!