Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Display

I have created an installer that will update the manifest using JagStyles' fix for you without having to use Resource Hacker.  You will need to close Act! before running the installer.  Once you run the installer you will need to make sure that all the checkboxes on the Compatibility settings are unchecked if you previously checked them (right click on the shortcut and select properties and then select the compatibility tab), you will want to adjust the text size up to the recommended setting (right click on the display and select properties) and you will need to reboot the computer in order for the changes to be applied.  Here is the link to the installer I created.  This installer doesn't currently remove the signature the Act!.exe program so if you get an error message attempting to run Act! after running the installer that indicates that there is a problem with the signature you will need to run the program in a previous post that removes the signature.  If enough people have that problem I'll add that functionality to the installer.  This fix should work with Act! 2014 and later.  JagStyles fix will probably work with earlier versions of Act! but my program currently looks for Act!.exe and patches it.  Earlier versions of Act! used a different name for the Act! executable.  If there is enough interest in using this fix for earlier versions of Act! I can create an installer that will update them as well.

If you have any issues running the tool let me know.

http://www.snapintools.com/DPI/DPIFix.exe

Stan 

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Elite Contributor

Look for this in Act! 18.1.  Smiley Happy

Bob Breeding
Champion Listener

Stan you are the man!! Just used the dpifix wizard on a customers Surface Pro 4. They could see Act as it was meant to be seen in 4K We thank you so much!

Arthur G. Russ
Act! Certified Consultant
agruss@exec-info-services.com

Bob,

First you weren't ready for Windows 10 and now this????????? Why are you all so bad at this? 4K specs and models have been out for years, not months, years. I am so sick and tired of work arounds with you all. I have lost days and days of productivity because you all can be ready for changes. Evolve. Research. What kind of mission statement starts with 'let's wait until customers are frustrated beyond belief'?????????????? Good Bye. Sales Force .com can not possibly suck as bad as you all at Act!

TJ

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi, Tad. Glad to hear from you. I believe that the first release we engineered after Microsoft's release of Windows 10 did support that operating system. You might be referring to an update that Microsoft rolled out that broke an API call used to fetch icons. Yes, we had to discover that along with many others and rolled out a fix to some releases. We've just been made aware of another Microsoft .Net update that they've pushed back to Vista and 8.1 that appears to contain another bug and we are investigating. The DPI issue has been resolved with the help of recent industry research and the help of some ACCs that applied it as we were researching the same solution. There are examples here for you to try yourself that many have found solved the problem. The DPI scaling solution has been incorporated into 18.1, in all components of Act! (including system tray tools, Integration, Sync, actdiag, etc.), and we're looking forward to seeing this in our customer's hands. I see you are a new member. Welcome aboard! I think you'll find the Act! community you find here very helpful, courteous, and a great resource whatever problems you are facing. Cheers, Bob
Bob Breeding
Copper Contributor

Hi Bob,

Does the DPI solutions in 18.1 also address the Add-Ins toolbar in Outlook?

Thanks
Copper Contributor

Re: Act Premium Completely Unusable On 4k Displays

While I am pleased that the work around solutions will be incorporated into 18.1 I hope that the company continues to redesign the front-end to meet the challenges of the hires technology and the rise of the hybrid notebook. Will you make changes to make ACT! touch friendly? Will you redesign icons? Will you look to improve the windowed environment?  Will you improve the functionality of the DESIGN LAYOUTS module to make it run more smoothly?

My major concern is that the ACT! has been rolled out in new editions that attempt to fix flakey features (often unsuccessfully). Where is the evolution that intentionally addresses productivity?

ACT! promise power by linking to Office and email but it simply frustrates and hold back productivity when it fails to quickly update to new versions of Office or Windows. I cannot understand why someone at Swiftpage did not get onto the Insider programs for OFFICE and WINDOWS and anticipate these problems.

A good case are the problems reported with the email module that has been reported in elsewhere in these forums. The problem appears to be IMAP related and may be able to be solved by setting up a POP account, but how many hours have to be spent to work out a solution? It remains a work around without any hope of a permanent fix. Everyone blames MS or GOOGLE but how about focusing on the main purpose of ACT!. PRODUCTIVITY!. A company that delivers on product, innovation and productivity rather than blame or service rather than profit, will gain reputation, market share and profit; not to mention loyalty.

On the Australian Version of ACT! you have to buy an add-on to get postcodes to automatically work (ZIP Codes). Why is this not standard and included?

I am dreading the shift to the subscription model. Will it be a leaking tap? Another few hundred dollars each year to enjoy a new colour scheme? A decrease in functionality with the promises of the CLOUD? Am I going to wake up one morning to find that the stand-alone version has been discontinued or the features frozen in 1990 database design?

Copper Elite Contributor

That's included in our development effort but I have to admit I have no current status on our success in that area.

Bob Breeding
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by Gary W (Administrator)
‎02-03-2016 02:56 AM
Administrator

For anyone new to this thread, there is a current workaround for the display issues on high DPI displays.

Please see this post for info on the DPI fix tool.

This fix will be included in the upcoming Act v18.1 update.

Copper Contributor

Unfortunately this work around has been broken in Windows 10 Build 14257. It is actually unusable on surface pro 4. Looks like MS deliberately made changes to scaling in this build to fix other issues. I have rolled back to keep working but really urge Swiftpage to take note of this before v18.1 just leaves users in the same mess a short time after it is released.

If users find multiple mini calendars then use ACTDIAG to delete preferences settings then reset ACT. Unfortunately  this does not work with the new build.