Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Premium 2012 - how to create remote copies of database for off site users

Copper Contributor

Act Premium 2012 - how to create remote copies of database for off site users

We are running Act. Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 on Windows 7 computers.  I have a new office location with 4-6 users trying to run Act over the vpn.  This is not working and is much too slow.  I believe you can set up local copies of the database on these computers and then synchronize them on a regular schedule to get any database updates.  

What are the recommended steps and the process for setting this up.  We have always had one office location with the database installed and shared over the network server, so I have never done this before.  

I do not want to switch to the cloud and monthly payment plan yet.  I just want to try and get Act running for our new office for now and will look at the other options for upgrading Act a little further down the road.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

Caroline

Administrator

Re: Act Premium 2012 - how to create remote copies of database for off site users

Hi Caroline,

Here's a link to a relevant Knowledgebase Article which explains how to create a remote synchronisation database:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14116/

It's a good idea to check our knowledgebase for questions like these - http://kb.act.com

You could also set up Act! Premium for Web to allow your remote users to access Act! over the web. This article explains how:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28127

Hope this helps.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act Premium 2012 - how to create remote copies of database for off site users

and this synchronization would be by Internet..?

already installed the synchronization service and created the remote databases..?

Important note, remember to back up the database daily.....!!

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

I have created a test remote database on my comtpuer and was able to syncronize.  I used the same test database file and unpacked it on a different comptuer for further testing.  When I went to syncronize it said: Syncronization has failed.  Server Error Descripotion: .RDB has already been unpacked and synced at least once.  Please recreate remote database or restore a backed up copy.  Contact your administrator for assistance.

Does this mean that for each computer with a remote database, I need to create a different copy for each to have the ability to send and receive syncs?

Nickel Super Contributor

Correct, a different remote database for each user computer.

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com