Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act Premium 2010 and MS Office 2010

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Act Premium 2010 and MS Office 2010

All you ACT Consultants - THIS IS GOOD FOR BUSINESS, HUH?

Highlighted
Employee

@bcoddy wrote:

You are correct, but nowhere in the website do they fess up to this.

The Act 2010 System Requirments can be found here.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roy,

"ACT! 2010 was released late August 2009. Office 2010 didn't make the final release until June 2010. No where does ACT! 2010 indicate it does or will support Office 2010. Model designations can't be considered indication of support."

1.  I can understand that - except that all the other major software vendors in this space already have an Office 2010 solution (for the 32-bit version).  If you are using ACT, there is simply NO solution.  While this may be acceptable to 80+ percent of your users, it does suggest that Sage may lack the resources to stay up with other players in this marketplace.

2.  What this suggests about the ongoing wisdom of sticking with ACT or switching to another platform is, I'm sure, an individual decision based upon each users' needs, requirements and willingness to change.

But the real issue is the tone or nature of the response I'm seeing across this topic.  

If Sage had just said from the beginning that Act 2010 had no intentions of supporting Outlook 2010, that would have been that and I could have made my decisions accordingly.  But this is beginning to suggest to my mind, at least, that this is simply a ploy to string us along until Act 2011 is ready.  Perhaps a cynical approach to minimize lost subscribers?

Personally, I can understand that business priorities might lead you to adopt that approach. It is unfortunate, as I've used ACT since version 2.  But I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that no matter how great a product ACT 2011 may be, I may not choose Sage as my business partner based upon the lack of transparency available.

If I were on your PR team, I would have already given a much info as possible - along with a rational discussion of ACT priorities, values and qualities as they impact this decision and the ACT community.  If Sage has decided that features trump inter-application compatibility issues, and so is deciding to focus its resources in that area, it could have told us that. 

Obviously this has not been the case.  If Sage had adopted that approach based upon a rational, resource-and-value-based decision, it would have shared that with us.  Either Sage simply failed to plan or think ahead, or they are in trouble with regards to  unexpected snafus that are now delaying their ability to respond.  This is what concerns me most.

Perhaps there are other explanations, but again with such an ongoing lack of transparency, I am seriously questioning whether I want to bet my business success on Sage as a supplier.  There is simply too much at stake for my success in today's economy to gamble on a supplier that can't be bothered to engage in an open and honest discussion about this type of an issue. 

To summarize - Sage needs to separate performance issues from your response/support issues and begin doing a proper job of support and communication.  To do otherwise in today's marketplace will inevitably result in a loss of marketshare or will at least blunt the potential sales you might gain despite any number of dazzling features in your next release.

If Sage can't come up to business-class standards in your support and communications departments, then outsource those to someone who is competent.  You'll be much better off down the road!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Since ACT 2010 is fairly new it is incomprehensible that SAGE assumes that businesses who upgrade a component of their business software should be forced to upgrade their new ACT product as well. Since ACT relies heavily on the integration of Office it is incumbent on the part of SAGE to remedy this problem. I didn't purchase ACT until June of this year. You can't tell me SAGE was unaware at that time that ACT 2010 was not compatible with Office 2010.

This is my first experience with SAGE and so far I have been disappointed. If they cannot come up with a fix for this I will be forced to consider other avenues. I hope, instead, SAGE proves to be a better company than I am hearing about, and they give us a fix for this.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I have been a user of ACT since ACT for DOS.  Sadly, this is fairly typical of their developement.  "Fix it in the next version."  Also sadly, I have not been able to find another piece of software as easily customizeable for my rather small company needs - or I would have changed some time ago.  If ACT really worked with all the synchronization, sharing and quick access to email, docs, etc., it would be really hard to beat.  Unfortunately to date, none of the versions have really lived up to the potential.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Bcoddy,

Curious and timely -  What limitations did your experience with other software that made it unsuitable for your customization needs?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Well the most obvious choice is Outlook.  It has none of the document shortcuts, and is difficult to redesign screen content and create new searchable fields.  It is also expensive to properly share (Exchange).  I have also looked at Maximizer and Goldmine which have never kept up either and are both difficult and expensive to customize.  Frankly I quit looking a couple years ago and would welcome any suggestion.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually ACT! 2010 is almost one year old. ACT! 2011 will release late this month or early September.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roy,

Some people just bought ACT 2010.  For them, it is only a few days old.  Go figure!

[Edit: Content removed. Please do not direct personal comments towards other members in this public forum]