Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Prem. EX V 10.0.2 and Outlook 2007 (all current patches)

Act Prem. EX V 10.0.2 and Outlook 2007 (all current patches)

Greetings all!  First post here but no noob to ACT!.  I have been using it primarily for keeping my contacts and To-Do list, etc, nothing fancy.  I let it languish for a few years, and am now trying again in the hopes that the product has finally caught up to the hype several owners since I became the first registered user of ACT!, back in the days of paper registration postcards, back when I had hair!  Moving on...

I have the Outlook integration configured and am using Outlook as my email client.

I am having a dickens of a time viewing my ACT! contacts from within Outlook, strike that, I just cannot get it to work.  Should I be able to?  More succinctly, before someone like me chimes in, does ACT! Premium EX v10.0.x support this.

Have tried using ACT!'s sync to Outlook, but that only moves scheduled events to the Outlook calendar, which I had to turn off and undo immediately because I started getting reminders from both AND Outlook AND Act!

Guidance, anyone?

Anthony

Re: Act Prem. EX V 10.0.2 and Outlook 2007 (all current patches)

Anthony,

ACT! contacts do not display in Outlook unless you export your ACT! contacts to a CSV and import into Outlook.  But doing that, it will not sync your contacts between the programs.

I believe this is possible through third party addons.

http://www.act.com/addons

Thank you, I will look into the add-on.  I think CompanionLink has something along those lines.

I thought maybe the Outlook sync from ACT might do this.  Can you explain what the ACT! synch to Outlook and remove activities from Outlook do as far as process and result?  I have an interest in keeping ACT and Outlook in synch, but I do not want Outlook to give ANY alarms for activities, I want those to come only from ACT! 

Am I dreaming, or can I do the activity part with ythe Act-Outlook synch and the use an add-on to keep the contacts in synch?

Again, Thank you. 

Nickel Contributor

There are third party programs that provide ACT-Outook syncing of the contacts and the activities - many of which can be found at www.actaddons.com.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor

Anthony,

Why do you want the contacts in Outlook? With the integration, you have the ACT! database as an address book for Outlook. Do you need more?

Is why really the question?   But, since you asked...

ACT! does not do a reliable job of finding addresses for Outlook.  And attaching emails received to ACT! contacts ALWAYS results in a database error that tells me that I am trying to add "van" to the database but that key already exists.  I do not know this van, and apparently ACT!'s offshore support has no clue.  I have spent over ten hours on the phone with them.  They speak English better than they understand it, and they keep blaming the problems on other bits.  I have installed ACT! on five different machines, including one brand new one that had Vista, Office 2007, and all maintenenca and then ACT!.  Same error.

In other words, sometimes it is easier to use Outlook for tasks other than scheduling activities and attaching them to contact records.  Emailing would be a lot easier in and out.

Now...  if anyone has any ideas for addressing this, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks to all.

"Why" allows me to think of a solution to provide what you need :-)

You could do a one off export from ACT! and import to Outlook.

Then sending emails to the contacts in Outlook, because the email would also be in ACT!, it can auto create the history as if you selected the contact in ACT!

As long as you have the address book added to Outlook (you don't need to use it), this would work

Point made.  Cheers, Mike. 

How would I go about keeping it in synch?  I add contacts quite regularly?

I suppose I should search the forums for the bugger error I get when attaching inbound emails to ACT! contacts, and adding new contacts from the Outlook button has NEVER worked for me either.  I suppose that may be the next thread if I cannot find an existing thread.

Anthony

AnthonyInTexas wrote:

Point made.  Cheers, Mike. 

How would I go about keeping it in synch?  I add contacts quite regularly?

Something like www.CompanionLink.com - and there are others on the AddOn site

Nickel Contributor

Mike is right, CompanionLink makes a program called DoubleLook that provides live syncing of ACT & Outlook data.

I'll warn you, tthough, that the initial sync with DoubleLook can grind down the system quite a bit. Whats worse is my experience with Vista, Exchange, ACT and Doublook on one system was not pleasant, and left ACT and Outlook quite unstable.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca