Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Keeps Failing to Complete Remote Databases

Act Keeps Failing to Complete Remote Databases

Hi all,

So we are running Act! Premium version 16.2, the server our database is on is a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, the issue we've started running into is when we try to create a remote database for one of our users it says we do not have space on the server for it. we have plenty of space, currently 163 GB of free space, we've added drive space and have even added an additional available drive that has 805 GB of free space, regardless of how we do it our remote creation keeps failing with the attached error. We are wondering if there is a reason why this error is occurring that doesn't have anything to do with the actual server storage capacity, or if there is a way to lower the size of the temp files that are being used to create the database remote? 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act Keeps Failing to Complete Remote Databases

I have looked at the message and if my maths are correct it is trying to build a database in excess of 61GB which I assume is not correct.

Does it work if you create a database without attachments?

What is the size of master database including folders?

I did have a client backing up the database into the database own folder so when it tried to create a remote database it was trying to include all the backups as well.

Thanks for the speedy response ch1p.

So for the first question, we believe that we are building our remote DBs without attachments, I don't see an option that says 'create a DB without attachments' or 'with', an option we do have is to create a remote DB with an empty DB, we've used that option and still was unable to successfully compete a remote DB.

For the second question, our master DB ADF file is about 2.5 GB, however our ALF file is 58 GB, could this be where the problem lies?

For the third part, we are sure we're creating our remote DBs without the backup included because we have a backup folder that is completely empty after creation, unless of course that is just another problem with this issue or related to it.  

Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

You have a damaged database and this can be caused by a problem within SQL 2008

Here is an article about re-building the .alf file. It has risks so you might like to stop sql and copy all the files to another folder so you can get it back if needed.

kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24250/~/how-to-rebuild-the.alf-file

Thanks for the help! We have it fixed, we rebuilt the .alf file and reduced the size of the log and everything seems to be working well now and the Remote DB is a nice and clean sub 6 GB. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Glad that worked. If happy can you mark as answered please. BUT do keep an eye out for the ALF file starting to increase again. If it does there are other remedies available but for now just be aware this could happen.