Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 8 and Windows 7

Act 8 and Windows 7

I've got a user with Windows 7 and ACT 2006 Premium for Workgroups. The install goes fine, but the program just will not start. I get the splash screen... and nothing. If I open task Manager, I can watch it open and go from "Running" to "Not Responding" after about 7 secs. If you leave the program fro a while (10 minutes of so) it will pop up a windows asking if you want to report the error. You can fill in the requested info, but it never sends it to Sage, it just hangs too. Any ideas? And updating to a newer version is not an option. He won't pay to have his custom fields updated for the new version.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 8 and Windows 7

ACT! 2006 is based on Microsoft SQL 2000.

Microsoft never upgraded SQL 2000 to be compatible with Vista, let alone Windows 7

Any custom fields automatically convert when you upgrade... why would he need to pay for it?

Silver Contributor

To Build upon what Mike has said, if you purchase the newerr software, in most cases, the database will just open, No need to pay to have "custom fields upgraded"  . This might have been something you had to do with an ACT 6.o conversion, but that was due to a different database structure and should no longer present a problem.  Upgrading is your best, cheapest and fastest option.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Forgot to add that this was working. When we originally gave him this laptop, we tested ACT and it was working fine. He cannot identify anything he has done that could have changed it and I can't find any updates and program installs around the time it quit working,
Platinum Elite Contributor

In the case where there is the extent of mismatch between the operating system and the application program, I'm not surprised that ACT! might work for a while and then not. Microsoft abandoned much of the OS legacy support when they released Vista and later Windows 7. I think there isn't any choice except to upgrade to ACT! 2010.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129