Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2013 Premium Web Alternate Port Configuration for IIS

Act 2013 Premium Web Alternate Port Configuration for IIS

So we have setup ACT 2013 Premium Web edition on an office PC and folks need to access ACT from outside the local LAN. The business already has an internal webserver hosting its public websites that is getting port 80 redirects from the gateway router, so we cannot use port 80 binding on the Default website in IIS on the ACT PC if we are going to redirect traffic for ACT from external hosts.

So we went and bound another port number in IIS for http requests on the ACT PC (let's say port 1080), and did an IISREST on the PC, rebooted, and checked out that the redirects work from the gateway router to the PC on port 1080, but the ACT website tool in ACT 2013 says that the ACT website is not enabled when running a website test, except that is is enabled and running according to IIS.

If we move the Default website binding back to port 80, ACT is happy. If we move it to any other port number, ACT is broken and the ACT website is not available. OK. So this is not seemingly an IIS port binding problem, there seems to be something in the ACT website configuration that demands a port 80 http redirect. 

So how and where do we change that in ACT?

We can't use port 80, we HAVE TO use another port number.

Re: Act 2013 Premium Web Alternate Port Configuration for IIS

While in no way an expert, actually I'm only a few days into setting up 2013 for a customer, but what I did was to leave Act on the default port and then forward whatever port I wanted my external users to use to port 80 on the internet server through my router.

Most routers allow you to redirect the port - 

My external customers are going to http://server.com:81 and my router forwards that to port 80 on my internal Act server.  

Re: Act 2013 Premium Web Alternate Port Configuration for IIS

Nice idea / suggestion; however it did not work redirecting an alternate port number on the gateway router to port 80 on the computer hosting Act 2013.

However, I am not certain that the problem is not with ACT 2013 iteslf. The APFW website keeps having problems and crashing or shutting down due to .NET problems and errors. Every time I try to access the APFW site from another host on the same LAN segment, either the browser request times out, or it connects then becomes unresponsive. Either way, when I check the ACT PC, the website tools says that either the website is turned off, or it returns some generic .NET error.

Needless to say, the customer is not happy with the state of affairs, and ACT Technical Support has been clueless and uselss in trying to diagnose, fix the problem. The first level phone support people from India did not even understand what I was explaining to them about port number redirects from the Gateway router or anything about port number changes in IIS on the ACT PC.

FUBAR.