Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 New Admin, Sync questions, guidance

Act 2012 New Admin, Sync questions, guidance

New admin for a company that uses Act Premium 2012. I'm tryng to understand sync with remote db users. I've created the remote db's, installed Act on user's PC's and setup the user with the remote db, sync looks great, no issues or errors. It's like some of the data does not sync. I've searched read through more than I would like to regarding this app, but I can't find anything regarding my issue. Either users have sync errors or db errors, or whatever, I'm not seeing any errors or issues, except the data seems not in sync. Everything I can tell with remote users, the updates sync properly, opportunities, documents, notes, etc. but when they click on opportunities and perform a lookup, specifically by dates, status, process, and stage by selected users, it shows the results just fine, but the results are different than if they were to login locally to the main database and use the same criteria. I'm at a loss as to why there are different results after they've completed the sync. The remote db has many more results than the main db, and includes the results from the main db, so the data is there, but why on the remote do they show extra (outdated) data if there are no sync issues? Shouldn't the sync also update the remote db with the same results? So confused. Thanks for any insight. Oh, I've tried repairing, rebuilding, reindexing, you name it in the actdiag utility, but the remote db always seems to be inconsistent with the main db. I believe the main db to be correct, however, when the managers use their remote db PC's to run reports, and view upcoming opportunities for their sales force, they are misled by the results. Hope that all makes sense. Thanks for any guidance or perspective into Act for a new administrator. Maybe (I can't imagine) this is by design?
Silver Contributor

Re: Act 2012 New Admin, Sync questions, guidance

A lot of times (almost always, but I never say always) the sync is working properly and it's either a setup issue, or a training issue.

Here are steps I would try if someone says they are missing someing when syncing

1)  give me an example of what you are trying to sync that is missing.  (for example, I made a note to Bob Smithers on Tuesday)

2) verify that the note is in fact on Bob's record in the remote database, 

3) sync and check the master, is the note there?

Things that could be tripping things up

1) have both users synchronzed? sync a couple of times from both machines to be sure

2) any handhelds or outlook sync that may be causing or contributing to the issue?

3) Are you using sync sets?  Do both people trying to see the info have the same rights to see the record.  (to check, log into the master database with the user credentials of the remote user

4) are you using limited access, any chance the record, or the note is set to less than full permissions? again, logging into the master as teh user should clear that up.

usually that will explain the anomaly.  I"ve been doing this a long time, and I could probably count on 1 hand the times it didn't.  for the rest, recutting the remote databaser fixes things.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Act 2012 New Admin, Sync questions, guidance

Thank you. Here are steps I would try if someone says they are missing someing when syncing 1) give me an example of what you are trying to sync that is missing. (for example, I made a note to Bob Smithers on Tuesday) 2) verify that the note is in fact on Bob's record in the remote database, 3) sync and check the master, is the note there? I don't think there is an issue syncing. I have no errors during syncing (my 30+ rdb users that is) and the data they sync is in the master db and all looks good. However, when they or me, pull up side by side in the rdb vs. the master after syncing, there are several older results when sorting opportunities by specific criteria on the rdb that the master doesn't have. It's like the rdb users send the updates to the master, but the master doesn't tell the sync to remove the old data on the rdb during the sync. I guess what I'm asking is when a sync occurs, it's both ways, right? Are there any tricks when a sync occurs to make sure the rdb has the same information as the master? I mean that's what I thought was happening as well as all the end users thought the rdb was syncing with the master db and then it's the same on both ends, but I'm seeing different results. Also, as far as the records go, they do match up number for number, like 6501 contacts on the master and after the sync the rdb matches the master. The main reason I ask this and am concerned, is when a user updates the opportunities to the master and they pull up the sort of opportunities on their rdb, the data is skewed, unless they login to the master and run the report... If all my users and their managers are using rdb's to run their numbers, it makes them not use or trust the software.