Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2012 - Company Hierchies

Tuned Listener

Act 2012 - Company Hierchies

Did Act change they way they hiarchies work in 2012? We have contacts duplicating that are hiearchied into companies.  They could have been set up incorrectly when myusers were using 2009 premium, not sure. But we didn;t have this problem until after the upgrade. 

For example if we have 7 contacts with one company it will duplicate all of them into several copies of one copy- assuming the primary contact but not always the correct address. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2012 - Company Hierchies

I haven't heard of this issue being reported anywhere else.

Are you able to clean up the mess?  Or is the problem still happening as you continue to use the software?

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Tuned Listener

I deleted all the offending duplicates, but now is there a way to transfer the contact information froom the Company View back to Contact View? The only thing mising in the company view is the contact name.  So if I can get those back to contact view somehow I think we'd be good. 

Tuned Listener

Mark, 

How can we get techinical support on this issue? It's actually changing the information in our contacts. so wehn we have multiple contacts with different locations, it chages the cantacts to all the exact same locations. It has to be a 2012 bug. We've recreated our database twice now and it keeps happening. I had ACT Tech Support on the phone and there was a definate langage barrier, since she could not, or would not, understand that our contact information is being changed.  I can email you some private files to help explain what's happening.  We've been using ACT! for years and this particular problem started happing shortly after upgrade. 

TIA 

Dee

Copper Elite Contributor

Do you have a lot of fields linked between the company and contact entities?

Are you saying that you can create a new database and then replicate the problem?  Or are you reconverting from the same backup file?  Have you tried a new database?

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Tuned Listener

We created a new Save As database with a remote that still had the correct information. Then after creating 6 new remotes the problem began replicating during the sync procedure.

We've done this twice and it eventually replciated the problem both times.

I'm wondering now if there is just one copy of ACT 2012 that's doing this and passing it on, or  if they're all doing it.  

I'm going to have to go through the entire process again, but this time I'm going and carefully document when it happens to see if I can isolate when and where it happens.

I have no other options that I can think of.  We've scanned our machines do death and haven't found anything malicious that might be casuing it, it a flaw in the program.  We went from 2009 Premium to 2012 Premium, it seems like there is a flaw somewhere.  

We tried to get Tech support to escalate the ticket to Tier 2 but the CSR just argued with us for a hour and then said someone would call back tomorrow. We've already lost more than a weeek because of this crap. 

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2012 - Company Hierarchies

Sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience with Sage's Tech Support.  I can tell you from personal experience that they, as a whole, are very competent and very capable of helping.

It sounds like you have already been escalated and are just awaiting a call back.

I would mention to them if they thought hotfix 2 for Sage ACT! Premium 2012 would be an appropriate fix to try. It has helped us with a few issues.

Best of luck!

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Tuned Listener

We've already applied Hotfix 2
Tuned Listener

Hi Mark, 

It turns out our problem was a result in the way 2012 collects data. There was some kind of programming change that confused the data because we have customers with mulitple locations with the same contact person. 

We had to go through and change all those contacts so they are slightly different.  For example:  One of our customers has 8 locations but the same IT guy is the contact person, we added the locations after his name i.e Bob Jones - MI, Bob Jones - OH, etc.  it it was changing all the locations to one radomly chosen location, but only in the contact section.

The weird part is all the information on the tabs (including the our custom tabs) and in the company section was not changing, it was only changing in the contact section on the top, and in the list view.  - If that makes any sense.  

Tuned Listener

Scratch that. Still changing information - but it's no longer changing the contact name.