Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 premium lost all contacts except myself

Act 2011 premium lost all contacts except myself

I was working on adding contacts. I had entered about 500 names. I looked up and the contact count went to 1. I thought that perhaps I had hit a filter by mistake. So I shut down the program and restarted it, nothing, turned off the computer and restarted and nothing. I have run actdiag and re-index and all the other options and no use. I read somewhere that there was a type of undelete contacts, but it was an old post and that option does not seem to be there, but I can not for the life of me understand why they would remove such a great tool. Any advice? I had only worked on the database a few days and my last restore point was before I added the 500 names and all the contact info.

I would be grateful for any help.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act 2011 premium lost all contacts except myself

Are you sure you are accessing the right database?  Is it possible that there is a database with a similar name that has your 500 contacts?

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com
Copper Contributor

And if you click on Lookup Manu and then all contacts ... What happens?

Copper Contributor

Sorry... Lookup Menu...  All Contacts

I thought that might be the case and searched the computer and found nothing. But it happened while I was working on the file, I had not opened and closed the program. The strange thing is there are two databases with the same name in the recent file list, I have clicked both, but the lead to the same place

Lookup all contacts gives me one name. A strange thing is my last backup was the 19th of march. I have looked up all the text files for act via the act diag and none of them have any entrys for anything since then and I have used the program many times.

I also just looked through the folder in my My documents/act/actfor windows 11/database/database file and in the attachments I found some old attachments from the deleted contacts, so this is sure to be the correct database

arrrgh.. just happend again. I just spent the morning putting the info back in. I do have a backup, but that was from an hour ago. I just deleted one contact using the right click and delete this contact. It took longer than normal and when it was done, only myself left.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Michael,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your contacts. How exactly are you entering in your contacts? One at time? Using the Duplicate Contact option? Importing? When you deleted a contact, was the option to delete the entire lookup selected? Also, there is way to see if the contacts are truly gone or just not accessible:

- From your Windows Start menu, choose either Run or go to the Search box...type in actdiag

- When the ACT! Diagnostics tool comes up, click Databases > Database List, find your database, then click to the left of it to highlight

- Right-click on your database, then select Database Reports > Database Structure >Table Recordcounts Reports

- Run this report and near the top of the report it will give you the number of contacts in the database.

Also, try adding some contacts to the Demo database (ACT2011Demo) and see if the same thing happens.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greg

I had imported them before from Excel and was going through them one by one, going online and updating them. Both times I lost the data, I was just deleting one file by right clicking the contact form and choosing delete. I have imported the files again from the backup copy. If it happens again. I will do as you advised. I have not set the program to back up every hour so I hope I will not loosed the data again.

thanks for your detailed help.

Michael