Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 Terminal Server issues

Tuned Listener

Act 2011 Terminal Server issues

Hey Guys,

We've been having pretty major issues with our Act users on the terminal server. We were using Act 2009 without issue, but since upgrading to 2011 we've had nothing but issues.

Environment Info:

- Act 2011 Premium Sp1 Hotfix 2

- SQL Server 2008 - Express R2

- Comcast Business Internet (its running insanely fast and we almost never get drop outs)

- The Terminal Server itself is a pretty strong machine itself, though i dont know the specs. We just spent $1,200 on it.
- only 4-5 users on it (we have plent of both Act and terminal licenses)

In the office, while connecting to the Database it runs great. Smooth and responsive.

While connecting to the database through the terminal server its a complete nightmare. Its slow. It freezes. and it throws off errors. Its gotten to the point where it is effecting business. We need to get this fixed.

Below are the exact copy and paste emails from my sales team about this issue.

Here's one:

"What I have primarily noticed over the last couple of weeks is the cursor freezing for a few seconds when you try and type into a field and in the last couple of days - typing into a new field creates a new record.  There have been some error reports which I have ignored to this point but I will start report the errors moving forward."

Here's another:

"What I have noticed is when creating a new record, one of the last things I do is enter a new note and that note ends up with a different record after I’m done entering it. The other problem is that the screen refresh rate is very slow. Sometimes it’s like watching paint dry when you click between records / tabs."

Another:

"Error –

A generic error occurred in GCI+"

Its a lot of stuff like this.

Do you guys have any clues? anyone else have these kind of issues?

Thanks,

Ian

Silver Contributor

Re: Act 2011 Terminal Server issues

How do other applications work?  The CDI error is a known issue with ACT adn Terminal services, but it's pretty easy to get past (just look for two act icons and click to closse the erro box).

We host ACT over Citrix.  It is more robust and is built on terminal services and for the we don't usually see this type of error.

Try using terminal service within the office.  IF it works well under term services and not well out of the office, it could be a bandwidth issue. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

its hard to say about the other applications as we ONLY use Act via terminal services. we do not use anything else and we do not use Office through it either.

I'll try using the remote desktop from the office and see what happens. If i do not have problems that maens its gotta be a bandwidth thing huh?

our bandwidth is pretty good. I just ran a test from my terminal server and:

Download = 13.05 mb/s

Upload = 7.45 mb/s

Ping = 17ms

this is with 5 people in the office on the interenet and running viop phones with another 4 peopel connected to the TS at the time.

Does that sound like it would be a problem? We just got our internet upgraded to the best that we can get here.

Nickel Contributor

I have several customers using ACT! on a Terminal Server with no problems like you are reporting. Perhaps you have a .NET 3.5 SP1 issue on your server that has not been identified prior to installing ACT!? Try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET 3.51 SP1

I have a fix for the GDI error, if you want to email me actcommunity@rosevear.info, I can email this back to you. Very rudimentary, it simply kills the dialog box if it appears, works though.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Tuned Listener

So i've been using the terminal server to monitor the issues my sales rep's have been experiencing. Its really as bad as they have been saying.

2 main issues:

1. We are getting the very strange error pretty frequently that is a MUST fix. The error happsn when trying to imput information into a current record. For some reason after entering the new information, a new record is created and the information you put in is not saved.

Example:

i'm on an already existing record in my act database. Lets say that on this record i have the "phone" field blank and i now want to fill in the phone number. i type in the digits and when im done hit enter (of click off the box, or hit save, or do anything.. it doesnt matter). When i hit enter, act pauses for a second, the screen flashes very quickly and then im sitting on a brandnew freshly created record.

Its very hard to explain but ive made 100% sure its not some weird keystroke/hotkey thing. It seems to happen randomly, it doesnt matter which field we are trying to edit. Though its happening pretty frequently and is a complete time waster. It probably happens about 1 in every 5 times we try to edit any fields.

2. Very much like the 1st problem, except this is focused on putting in notes. You go to enter a new note into an existing record. When you hit "ok" after typing your note out, the screen flashes and has created a compeletly new record and then placed that note in this new blank record. I have done every test and this happens completely randomly.

Any clues? anyone else have problems like this?

I have not seen these issues but have been having actsage.exe crashing quite a bit and performance degredated.  We were using 2010 and I just upgraded to 2011 last week and the issues started happening.  One thing to try is to set the actsage.exe file to run in windows xp compatibility mode.  Also make sure you are using hot fix 2.

Nickel Contributor

Are you using any Plugins or ACT Addon's? I have seen this behaviour with poorly written addons before, try removing the plugins from the Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins folder temprarilty, and see if the behaviour still occurs. If it stops, go back to the vendor of the addon
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Tuned Listener

Nope, No addons. We have Hot Fix 2 installed. this is killing me.

Something that I found this evening that you might want to investigate.  When I did the upgrade from 2010 to 2011 I just ran the install and let the program do it's thing.  Tonight as the crashes were getting more prominent I went in, uninstalled Act and then reinstalled it.  During the install I noticed that it was installing SQL 2008 which it did not do when I installed the first time.  I went back and took the compatibility settings off of the exe file and all seemed to work fine with limited testing, tomorrow will be the tell tale once everyone is in the terminal server and working.  Also be sure to put your terminal server in install mode before installing, I also put it there before doing the uninstall.  You could tell on this also by looking to see if SQL 2008 is installed on the server instead of 2005 and making sure your database is attached to 2008.  Just something to look at.

Copper Contributor

Just wanted to chime in.  This doesn't specifically help you other than to give you hope that Act 2011 does work in a terminal services environment. 

We did a fresh install of Windows 2008 Server R2, Office 2007, and Act! 2011 on our terminal server.  We have only had the GDI+ error, which as stated, is documented by Act! with no current fix.  The difference between our install in yours that I can see is that our SQL server is SQL Standard 2008 R2 and is located on a different physical machine.  I don't think this is necessary for your installation, just stating the fact. 

Your Internet connection sounds fine to me.  What version of Windows Server are you using?  What are the hardware specs on your machine?  That might be useful info.  If it were me, I'd be looking at a fresh install of the OS and Act! after plenty of backups were made.