Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2011 PREMIUM - MOVING A DATABASE FROM ONE MACHINE TO ANOTHER

Act 2011 PREMIUM - MOVING A DATABASE FROM ONE MACHINE TO ANOTHER

I believe I may have screwed up but hopr you can help me correct this.

I created a new data base on a remote laptop by copying an existing DB and then renaming and modifying it. I saved the new DB is a Dropbox file rather than ACT file as I wanted to establish is on my main PC. The New DB would then be sync'ed with several remote devices , including the one on which the New DB was originally created.

While I cam open and use the New DB on the remote laptop on which it was created, The folder in Dropbox was copied and placed in the Act DB folder on my main PC. When I attempt to open the .PAD file for the New DB on the main PC I receive an error message "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable your firewall software on your computer or server.

I am guessing that using Drop box for file transfer was not the way to go but I could not find a clear explanation on what to do in the Community notes or Help.

Hope you can help me fix this so I will not need to rebuild the New DB from scratch.

Administrator

Re: Act 2011 PREMIUM - MOVING A DATABASE FROM ONE MACHINE TO ANOTHER

[ Edited ]

You'll need to use one PC as a host PC - that will store the master database.

So the first step, is to move the database to that PC. The best way to move an Act! database is to perform a backup (File > Backup), this will create a .zip file - then move that zip file to the target PC and do a 'restore as...' (File > Restore > Restore As...)

Once the database is up and running on the main PC, you'll have a few different options for remote sync to other databases.

If your other PCs will always be on the same network, you can simply share the database and connect over the network directly. check out this KB for more info:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

If, however, the other PC's will not always be in the same place (i.e. laptops that sometimes get used from home etc.) - but they will be on the same network at least some of the time - you'd probably want to look at creating 'remote databases'. These are essentially copies of the main DB that can be independently edited, then have any changes synchronised back into the main DB.

Check out this KB for info on setting up remotes:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14116

Finally, if the other PCs are in remote locations and will never be on the same network as the host, you'd need to look at some method of accessing your databases over the internet - there are a few different ways to achieve this, but almost all of them will require Act! Premium rather than Pro - and are generally slightly more complicated.

I can go into more detail on internet connected databases if you'd like, but if the above options work for you then hopefully you've got enough info to get started!

Hope this helps!

Re: Act 2011 PREMIUM - MOVING A DATABASE FROM ONE MACHINE TO ANOTHER

Thanks John,

This seemed to solve the problem but spawned another. Now that I successively moved and established the DB on my main PC I then went to set up the sync between the remote (laptop) and the main (desktop). The Act sync service is running on both PC's and a sync set has been created for the new DB, but the synchronize now command is grayed out. If "Accept incoming sync" is selected it show to be monitoring port 65100, but then gives the following sync report error message: Could not stat sync server. Act! has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections. Contact your administrator for assistance.

I am the admin. Also, The sync service worked fine prior to this change and the creation of the new DB. I am confident that I have set up something incorrectly or perhaps it is it that act can not support the sync of more than on DB at a time. But I do not think the latter is the case. Will you help me further please.