Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2010 (v12) will not start in Windows 7

Act! 2010 (v12) will not start in Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I installed Act! 2010 in Windows 7 (64-bit) and it ran fine for several days.  I shut down the PC, came back 3 days later and Act! won't start.  I get the usual UAC message, but then nothing happens!  The log-on screen does NOT appear.   When checking the TaskManager, I see that "Act!Sage.exe *32"  appears to be loaded.   Really frustrating, and I need to get back to my data!   Does anybody have any clues?

Brief update:  I installed HotFix 3, but that didn't help.  Then I attempted to uninstall, but that generated an error message (Fatal error -1603), I then attempted to use the Windows7 Restore feature to get back to a restore point, but that process didn't work either, although, I was able to start up Act! 2010 now, BUT, now the "Lookup" feature doesn't work, that is: lookup all or my records works, but look-up by, say "First Name", "Company", etc don't work, no entry screen comes up.   Argh... Is this an Act issue or a Windows7 64-bit issue.   Any help regarding this would be appreciated... 

Peter

Message Edited by pcelias on 10-31-2009 01:02 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2010 (v12) will not start in Windows 7

What happens if you lower the settings for or disable UAC? See KB Article 25665 for instructions.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No, UAC didn't help.  Tried uninstalling but got an error there too!   Finally had to have one of the Sage support people give me a special uninstall utility, then I re-installed and everything was back to normal.

But as someone that deals with software every day (I'm a Sage authorized partner for Sage PFW), my interest is knowing in 1) what caused this to begin with and 2) what can be done to prevent it in the future ....

So, far, I've had a fair amount of "issues" relating to using Windows 7 in a 64-bit environment; all I can say is tread with caution, especially when attempting to use older software packages....

Has this issue been resolved?  It seems like we're running into the same issue.  ACT starts but the main window never appears.  Reminders pop up, we can see ActSage.exe running in TaskManager but, never get the main window.

kml

I had this problem yesterday 9/17/2010 with ACT 2009 and Windows 7 and it appears to be an optional update that interferes.

I've been getting Act! 2010 (v12) to start in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.    My PC loads a lot of things, so the trick apparently is to wait until everything has loaded and then start Act!.  If I try to start it the second I see the Windows Desktop appears, then it hangs ...

Copper Contributor

I have the same problem - but mine has nothing to do with the PC startup , just simply if i ever close ACT down, it will never restart. I have to force the ACTSAGE program to close in task manager, and then it fires up fine. So for me, it's a problem of act not closing down correctly, rather than not starting up correctly...

JD

JD,
Do you have TeamViewer installed on your machine? We have seen where this program can cause the ActSage.exe process to remain open. And do you normally close ACT! by closing the window or going to File/Exit? You can also try File/Close, then File/Exit. In addition, does this also happen if you first close other programs that integrate with ACT! (Outlook, Word, IE, Excel)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig,

Got it first time !  Well done  !!

Exited teamviewer, and it now works fine. Teamviewer opens and closes without any problems, so i suppose they will just throw the ball back in ACT's court if i ask them anything.

Do i just have to put up with it ? Any tweaks you can think of?

thanks v much for the accurate response !

You should be able to workaround the issue by disabling the Quick Connect option within TeamViewer.

Greig Hollister