Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Product Report Help

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act 2010 Product Report Help

Hi All,

I am trying to create a simple report (which is never easy in Act) that I can present to suppliers that will allow us to show how many of their products we are likely to sell within a certain time frame.

Basically I need it to be laid out like so

Product 1 

Company                    Product                    Quantity                Est Close Date               Actual Close Date 
Company A                  Product 1                        1                        xx/xx/xxxx                    xx/xx/xxxx
Company B                  Product 1                        3                        xx/xx/xxxx                    xx/xx/xxxx
Company C                  Product 1                        2                        xx/xx/xxxx                    xx/xx/xxxx
--------------------------------------------------------------PAGE BREAK------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product 2 

Company                    Product                    Quantity                Est Close Date               Actual Close Date 
Company D                  Product 2                        1                        xx/xx/xxxx                    xx/xx/xxxx
Company A                  Product 2                        1                        xx/xx/xxxx                    xx/xx/xxxx

So I have all the information I need. I have a product list. I have it broken down to identify the suppliers. In the Opportunity record I have all the information entered to create the above report.

The problems I am having are as follows;

• I cannot get the quantity in each opportunity to appear. I have seen it in one of the existing reports (Pipeline by product....) but I cannot replicate it.
  • The report keeps missing opportunities out. Out of a report that should have contained 15 records it only contained 7. What could be causing this?

If anyone can help me create this report I would greatly appreciate it. If it cannot be done would some please explain to me why it can't so I can stop racking my brain about it.

Thanks in Advance

Ben

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ben.greenwood
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2010 Product Report Help

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately the standard Opportunities by Product didn't provide the right information although it was very close.

The problem we have with that report is the lack of product quantity next to each company. This is the most vital part of the report.

Anyway in the end I decided rather than drag this on any longer I would create the reports through Microsoft Access. The reports don't need to look fancy they just need the correct information on there.

All in all it took me around 2 hours to do this on Access (and I am by no means an expert).

So can someone explain to me why I cannot get the individual product quantities on the Opportunities by Product report?

Thanks 

Ben

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Ben, it sounds like you are a Rep'ing company - Manufacturers' Reps, and you want to separate out the results for each company that you rep onto separate pages, or something like that.

Anytime I face complex reporting tasks, I look to the addon market for products that will save me time and get the results I want quickly - time is money - here's 4 that I happen to like:

TopLine Dash - replaces ACT!'s Dashboard with a versatile, highly customizable dashboard, includes quite a few pre-written dashboards which you can use as is, or modify, or create your own - easy to use, outputs to pdf, excel.  

$149.00 Trial available  http://www.toplineresults.com/products/toplinedash/screens.htm

Durkin Opportunity List Plus - replaces ACT!'s Opportunity List with a high-functioning Opp List - again, very customizable, multiple output options,

$149.00 Trial available http://www.durkincomputing.com/ACT-Addons-OpportunityListPlus.aspx

Stonefield Query - the mother of all Report Writers for ACT! different from above items - this is a report writer - does not add or replace screens or dashboards to ACT! - it also doesn't 'replace' the ACT! report writer - it picks up where ACT! leaves off - lots of pre-written reports that you can then extend, or write your own - simplifies the database structure for you - no need to learn the linking of tables.

Trial available - http://www.stonefieldquery.com/

Crystal Clear Essentials - a package of beautiful, pre-written reports that add themselves to ACT!'s Report Menu - these add the reports that everyone needs and asks for.  I don't believe it includes a report design that matches your needs exactly, so you would need a copy of Crystal Reports Professional XI to modify these reports.

$149.97 - Trial Available - http://www.crystalclearessentials.com/

Signature
Copper Contributor

Hi Kevin,

I don't want to go down the add on route as my bosses have invested time and money in this system. To turn round and say that the system has all the information it needs to create a report but cannot group it together would be unacceptable.

We don't run a lot of reports but this one is very important and the quicker we can produce these reports without all the manual intervention to more productive we can be.

So it would be better for me if the system would do this as standard.

Thanks anyway

Ben

Nickel Super Contributor

Ben, if you will allow me to jump in, there may be a different way of looking at it.  If you are spending 2 hours a month to create this report, how long will it take you to recover the costs of any add-on product?  Usually the answer is not very long.  I have been working with a customer who wanted this exact same thing.  We tried several different options, the first choice being ACT! as it works out of the box.  I wish I had used an add-on product first - I can create a report (and even though you may think you only need the one, once you see how powerful the report designers are, your bosses may be amazed at the information you can display).  We picked Stonefield because of the detail we could capture.  So they have a report to send to their vendors each month, and the amount of time they saved paid for the software with the first two reports.  Plus, neither the admin assistant/office manager nor the sales reps have to do anything data entry to run the reports each month.  Brenda

Brenda Dixon
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Copper Contributor

Hi Brenda,

Again I appreciate your suggestion but it isn't what I am after. 

If the system itself, which has cost a good deal of money, cannot do something as simple as create a simple report then throwing addons at the problem is not going to help me. If there are other problems that require addons to fix then I might aswell not be bothering with the system in the first place.

So what I am trying to find out simply is can I create this report using what I have already? If not why?

Thanks Ben

Platinum Elite Contributor

From your description of what you want the standard Opportunities by Product report should come close  The same basic design could be used for the report you want.

I happen to enjoy working with reports but in doing so I've come to realize that using any high performance report generator involves what amounts to learning a programming language. With all due respect to my colleagues, unless you are already proficient with Crystal Reports, I suspect that you would find it even more frustrating than the ACT! reports. I have done some work with Crystal reports and find it has a very steep learning curve. StoneField does provide a wizard to create many of the reports you might need. They have an advanced mode but it is significantly harder to use.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

Roy,

Totally agree that writing in Crystal is not for the faint of heart - Crystal training orgs offer a 2-day beginner and 2-day advanced courses in Crystal, which says something about the level of the product.  I mention it to be fair and impartial to all addon vendors.

Kevin

Signature
Solution
Accepted by topic author ben.greenwood
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately the standard Opportunities by Product didn't provide the right information although it was very close.

The problem we have with that report is the lack of product quantity next to each company. This is the most vital part of the report.

Anyway in the end I decided rather than drag this on any longer I would create the reports through Microsoft Access. The reports don't need to look fancy they just need the correct information on there.

All in all it took me around 2 hours to do this on Access (and I am by no means an expert).

So can someone explain to me why I cannot get the individual product quantities on the Opportunities by Product report?

Thanks 

Ben

Copper Contributor

OK so from the lack of response I am guessing that no one can tell me why the reports can't work the way I want them to.

I will close as solved by using my own reports in Access.

Thanks all.

Jmo
Astute Commentator

I currently do exactly what you need to do, am a manufacturer's rep, and have custom desgined reports for this subject.

What you need to do is click on a Product or Opportunity by Product report and edit it. (at top of report page)

When the screen opens:

• Click "field" at upper left. A pop-up will appear. Add "Total Quanity" by clicking on it and clicking "add".
  • The quanity field and its label will appear on the report. The label goes in the header, while the field (as indicated by a "P:" goes in your detail section.
  • You can also total the quantity per product. Do the same thing as above. Re-name the label "TOTAL" and place where you want. Right click on the field, and open properties.Do to the data tab, and change from detail to "summary". This will total all the quanities by product, or by all products, depending on where you put it.

That should get you started, but you'll have to play with the reports to see where/how you need to put things to get it to run properly. As for your missing data, it may have to do with the estimated vs. close date. I am having issues with reports I have created to pull data by close date, yet ACT is pulling the date range by estimated close date. THus something that is estimated to close (or in my case ship) on 5/31 but closes/ships on 6/1 pulls into my May report. 

Good luck.