Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act!2010 Premium Installation Help with Network Database

Tuned Listener

Act!2010 Premium Installation Help with Network Database

First off - Happy Holidays

Background: I am using Act! 6. I have 10 licenses (only using 8). The main database is on our server that is running I believe is Novel 6.5. The users in my office are running the 6.0 from their desktops and accessing the network databse just fine! They save their documents to their local drives but all is from the server. Yesterday, I purchased 10 licenses of Act! 2010 Premium Corporate edition. My intent is to use the local version, not the web version. All of the users desktops are Windows XP.

I installed the first license on my machine with the hopes of converting the database on the network drive (about 6,000 records) to the new version and spending the holiday week getting all the kinks worked out. My employees can do without the database for the week I need.

My plan have hit a snag as I could not convert the database. I attempted the conversion and set a target path on the network drive. It goes through most of the process (using "Standard" conversion and converting attachments as shortcuts) and then has a failure message of "..operating system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified).

I then also tried to convert the network database with setting the new/target database on my local drive. It starts off fine and makes it through converting database, contacts, users, groups, activities and then fails on notes & hisory with an error of "value cannot be null. Parameter name:file". In looking at the error log, it shows a lot of issues with the links to long files names that were attached to history items by some of my users.

I have also tried to just create a brand new database on my server, it won't let me. I get the "cannot find the path specified".  

I keep striking out! I have searched the boards for previous similar issues.

I have verified that the SQL is running, it is.  I have also increased the database timeouts from 30 seconds to 300 seconds via actdiag. I have also turned off file checking in Act.

Any thoughts? Do I need to reinstall directly to the server?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act!2010 Premium Installation Help with Network Database

First off, the ACT! 2010 program must be installed on the server and it must be a Microsoft server. Second you can't save a database to a mapped drive, it must be saved to a local drive. Finally your ACT! 6 database needs to be cleaned up to deal with the Notes/History issues, it may in fact require database repair.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy,

Happy Holidays and thanks for the reply.

My IT firm has detailed to me what I will have to do to set up another server or to convert from Novell to MS. Yikes, I wish I would have asked these questions before. My mission is to grow sales and the let everything else fall into place. In the end, At some point this year, I will more than likely take the database to the web.

Until then, can't I setup the DB on a shared folder somewhere on one of my network?

Or can I just have us all sync to each other at week's end?

Thanks for any input!

Walter

Tuned Listener

Good day to all!

As you can see by the post above, I have a bit of a problem. I am willing pay for the consulation from a reseller to answer my questions. Just send me a PM. 

In general, my questions are:

1) What is the minimal version of Microsoft Server that I have to purchase to get my 10 licenses of Act! 2010 Premium Corporate to be useful! There are websites that sell previous versions of MS Server and I am trying to save some money.

2) Is it not possible to just install to a shared folder on one of the Windows XP machines attached to my Novell network?

3) Could I just have everyone use a their own DB and then sync at the end of each week?

Any help is appreciated!

Walter

When I just installed our Act!2010 Premium I had to install the IIs Windows component.

I went to control panel / add/remove programs go to Windows Components  Add Windows Components and go down the list to Microsoft IIs

It may prompt for your Windows Disc and it will install the Server Software

May be all you need.

Robert