Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 - How do I transfer my database from my laptop to my desktop?

Act 2010 - How do I transfer my database from my laptop to my desktop?

Hello everyone,

I have only one-user rights but I am about to decommission my laptop (with my Act software on it) and want to transfer it over to my brand new desktop, but I don't want to have to buy the software all over again, plus, I've got all of my data on the laptop.  Can anyone tell me how I can do this please?

Many thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 - How do I transfer my database from my laptop to my desktop?

So, you don't want to operate on bother systems?

All you need to do is install ACT! on the new system, then move the data as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Make sure you check the new system before decommissioning the old one

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 - How do I transfer my database from my laptop to my desktop?

The ACT! licencing scheme allows for installation on another machine. The licence is based on named user rather than licenced to specific machines. So just install ACT! on the workstation and use the same serial number as ACT! uses on the laptop now. Your database can be transfered to your laptop; it is a matter of backing up your existing database and restoring it ot your workstation. You will need to rename the database as part of the process to deploy to the workstation, the setup process guides you. Don't forget to record your user name and password, if any, as you will need that information to restore the database on the workstation.

Should you get a new laptop you could setup synchronisation between your desktop and your laptop to have the convenience of ACT! with you when you travel. There are ACT! Consultants in UK who could assist you with setting up synchronisation if you prefer not to do it yourself.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog