Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2010 Backup failed

Act 2010 Backup failed

When I attempt to back up Act 2010 I get the following error.

Path to datastore is invalid? 

I get this error no mater what folder I tell it to backup to?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2010 Backup failed

[ Edited ]

C:\Users\Troy Jones\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases

When I try to manually back up it says

This action can’t be completed because the file is open in another program.

But act is closed and I when I check Vista task manager it does not show any sage or act applications or process running?

The only file it will let me manually copy is the PAD file, it will not allow me to copy the ADF or ALF file.

Originally, I did a restore as from Act 2005 to Act 2010 and it made a back up copy of the database during the process but now the automated back up fails and manual backup fails?

I have User Account control (UAF) turned off but that does not fix the issue.

I have turned on the share database and turned off the shared database and still no go on the back up.

Copper Contributor

The data store is the series of sub folders that contain all the ancillary files like templates, layouts, attachments and so on. When you try to back up the database all of these folders and contents are copied to a temporary location and compressed into a zip file from there.

Some program like anti virus or off site backup program like Mozypro holding a file open? One of the files or whole directory set to read only in the data store? The ADF and ALF is being held by the ACT7 SQL instance. This is normal.

Platinum Elite Contributor

When I say Manually Backup, I mean from within ACT!

The SQL files are always open from the time start the computer.

You might find this helpful:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html
Copper Super Contributor

This error  occurs when a shared database does not have the proper permissions granted to the database-files folder.  If you go into you review the share permissions for this folder, you will most likely notice that "Everyone" only has "read" permissions to the folder.  They need to have "Full control."  When you change this, this should resolve the error.

Robin Granados
Customer Support Analyst – ACT!

Robin, what else could it be if the permissions on the folder structure for "Everyone" is already set to full control and it still doesn't work???   

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike is on the right track,

If your not (manual mode) using ACT! menu drop-down File | Back up, you should be. The other option is to setup ACT Scheduler to perform automatic scheduled backs.  All you should then do is have your backup software backup the ACT backed up Database ZIP files to off site drive and or to DVD's. 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1921...

JM