Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 premium fatal error 1603, tried everything

Act 2009 premium fatal error 1603, tried everything

Hi all,

I have been using this version of Act! for about 5 years now.  Two laptops and one desktop.  I sync to the desktop.  I run a copy on my laptop in a virtual machine under Linux.  Recently my hard drive failed so I replaced it with a new one and reloaded Linux and Windows XP on a new virtual machine.  This time when I tried to load Act from the original CD it kept failing with a 1603 fatal error message.

I researched it and have tried every one of the suggestions I found, such as permissions to the directory and the registry Local_Machine, removing simple file sharing, disabling the anti virus and firewall,etc.

Because the virtual machine lets me roll back my winxp install everytime it failed rather than try and clean it up, unistall,etc. I simply rolled back via a "snapshot" to just before I did the Act! install so in essence I was able to attempt the install on a "new", "fresh" version of Windows XP.

I continue to get the error and am stumped because this combination was working fine for several years.  I even tried two different installation CD's on Act! 2009 premium but continue to get the same error just as it is about to finish the install.

SQL installs fine and after the 1603 fatal error I can go into control panel , install and remove programs and all six modules are there installed .NET Framework 2.0, (SQL server 2005, SQL server native client, SQL server setup support files (English), SQL server VSS Writer,  MSXML 6.0 Parser.

Does anyone know what Might cause this repeated failure?   Also,is it possible to install the ACT program separately from the SQL server install?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Administrator

Re: Act 2009 premium fatal error 1603, tried everything

Hi Tony,

Here is a Knowledgebase article we have on this error: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19385
I would suggest working though the suggested solutions in order.

The section titled "Install Microsoft SQL Server Independently" explains how to create the SQL instance separately before installing Act. Please try working though the process detailed in the related article.
Bronze Elite Contributor

This is a windows installer error.

As well as the links that Gary gave you also look at this one from Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/834484

Thanks for the link.  I followed the recommendations to the letter but no luck.  I even Installed Windows 7 to see if it would work as one of our laptops is using this version with windows 7 but no luck.

I have been using two different backups of my install CD as I was on the road visiting my son when I tried the install.  I will try using the original install Cd and see if it makes a difference.

I don't know what to day.  I even tried updating the windows installer but no luck.

Thanks,

Tony

Bronze Elite Contributor

I have seen an odd error during installation over a network which maybe relevant to your configuration.

Suggest copying the installation disk onto the partition you want to install onto and running from there.

Administrator

Hi Tony,

Were you using Windows XP 64bit? This is not supported.

Try using the download link I've PM'd you to download and install a verified copy of Act! Premium 2009.

Thanks for the help.  I will let you know how it goes.

Tony

Hi Chip,

thanks for the suggestion.  One of the attempts was done copying the files to my hard drive and running the install from there.  I even checked to make sure I had full rights to that folder in case that might be an issue and was logged in as administrator with full rights to the install folder, the registry and that the system account had full rights too as suggested in the links.

I'll see if another copy of the install files works.  Gary sent me one and I will use my original.  What stumps me is that this install I've done before without a hitch.   I thought maybe some type of hidden file or signature was written onto the hard drive when installed and that the new install was running into it and causing it to fail.  However with the virtual box I was able to install a copy on fresh install of Windows by just rolling back to a "snapshot" I had take when the operating system was just installed with just service pack 3 installed.

I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks,

Tony

Hello all,

After having to put this project on hold for a few weeks, I was finally able to get Act! installed on my laptop thanks to Gary W  who sent me a fresh installation program of my version.  It installed without a hitch.  I can only imagine that somehow the backup copies of my installation disc was corrupted.  I didn't even try to use my master disc instead using the one Gary W sent.

I applied the hotfix to bring the install to bring it up to the same version the other workstations are using and it is working flawlessly.  My thanks for the suggestions you gave me here that were important to try before suspecting damaged installation files.  My Thanks to Gary W for stepping in and providing the final piece that solved the problem.

Thanks again,

Tony

Administrator

Hi Tony,

You're welcome. Glad to hear your back up and running!