Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 premium compatible with 2009 EX?

Act! 2009 premium compatible with 2009 EX?

Hello,

I am adding a workstation to our home network and we are using version 11.0 premium with synchronized databases.  We use windows xp on all workstations.  We will be adding a windows 7 laptop.  I can obtain a 5 user license of Act! 2009 premium-EX.  If I add this on the new laptop will it be able to use and synch the database we are currently using with 2009 premium?

I didn't realize that there was a difference between versions and purchased a 2009 pro license only to discover that it would not read the premium version database unless I coverted it.  I don't want to run into the same problem with the EX version.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 premium compatible with 2009 EX?

Upgrade to ACT! 16. ACT! 2009 isn't reliable on Windows 7

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I can't afford such an upgrade. If it is unstable on windows 7, I will downgrade the laptop to xp.  That will be much more cost effective than upgrading to the latest act version.  There is nothing in windows 7 that we need that can't be done in xp.

So, coming back to my original question, is the EX version pof 2009 compatible with the premium version in 2009?

Thanks,

Tony

Hello Roy,

I thought I would ask again.  Will version 2009 premium have a conflict with 2009 premium EX?  I would like to add another workstation and have a chance to get a new 2009 EX box. .  If 2009 won't run properly on windows 7, then it can be setup on an xp workstation that is not a problem.

If my budget allowed I would be running new workstations and the latest version of Act! but that is not the case so I have to find a solution that I can afford.

What do you say?

Thanks,

Tony

There is only Pro and Premium - Premium used to come in EX or ST
EX used SQL Express - the version MS gives free
ST Used SQL Standard - which you use more processors, RAM, etc - it cost more

As long as all versions are Premium and have the same update build, sync shouldn't be an issue - although as 2009 didn't know about Win7 security, you may have to disable UAC and fiddle with the Firewall.

Also, can't use Office 2010 or 2013 if they come on the new machine.

If the Win7 is Ultimate with plenty of RAM, you can run a virtual XP under it

Re your budget ... might be worse considering that the faster, more functional, versions allow people to be more productive and may provide a worthwhile return on investment :-)

Hi Mike,

thanks for that information. I can fiddle with Windows 7.  If push comes to shove, I'll just downgrade the machine to XP.  We are just a mom and pop shop that uses act for our record keeping, contacts, etc. and do not push Act! in any way beyond moderate use.  The extra workstation is because my wife is changing computers and will use  the old one as backup.

Thanks again,

Tony

Unless you're adding a new user account then you don't need an additional license. ACT! is licensed to the name user not to the machine.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

thanks for that.  Because the price of the software is very attractive, I wlll buy the boxed program (and new license) to have when and if I add a workstation to our small network to accomodate our son who periodically works with us when we need the help.  This way he could use his own workstation and desk.

Thanks again,

Tony