Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 and BackupExec12 on SAME Server

Copper Contributor

Act 2009 and BackupExec12 on SAME Server

Currently I am using Symantec BackupExec12.x (installed on our Fileserver) to pull all data from the separatly installed ACT Server using the BEX Remote Agent & BEX SQL Agent options. Everything works fine and flawless...

Now we are replacing our Fileserver and get also a new Tape Library with the new installation.

Due to size constraints (new LTO has already to backup several GIGs from File/Mail Servers),

I would like to move the previous Hardware (SCSI LTO3 Lib) & Software (BEX 12.x is a SQL based product) to the existing Act Server.

Following the previous posted experience of other users, there might be a hickup possibility

as ACT and BEX are both using SQL 2005 and ACT is very restrictive in its SQL implementation.

Does anybody have some guidelines on how to setup BEX12 on the same box ?

I would like to avoid i.e. to de-install ACT first, but will take no risk of spoiling the setup...

Any hint would be helpful, a link to adequate documentation would be appreciated most.

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux
Copper Contributor

Re: Act 2009 and BackupExec12 on SAME Server

H E L L O   ? ? ?

anybody to answer this question?

or is it so far off-topic, I should post it in a different forum container?

Thanks!

Martin

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2009 and BackupExec12 on SAME Server

[ Edited ]

Martin,
You should be able to install BackupExec without issues. Since I assume the BEX install will also create its own instance of SQL Server 2005, my only recommendation is to stop the ACT7 instance of SQL when installing BEX. This will mean that ACT! client users will be unable to access the shared database while the service is stopped.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.