Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2009 Premium installation snafu............

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act! 2009 Premium installation snafu............

[ Edited ]

Hello all;

I have an installation of Act that recently had been moved from one server to another due to the original server failing by others within my department. When attempting a DR test, I noticed that the scheduled backup jobs were not running anymore and found that while the SQL database is intact on the new server, it seems the Act! application didn't get installed in the process so now I cannot perform any backup without the Act! software console that offer the backup and restore options, along with the scheduler. To add to the conflict, I cannot use Microsoft's SQL Management Console to backup or restore the data as it cannot connect to Act, a thorn in many users backsides!

On a bright note, I can connect to any of these Act! databases from a remote machine without issue using another Act! Premium instance but.........

1. I was wondering if I could perform the backup from a remote computer.
  2. Also, is it possible to reinstall the Act! application without affecting the Act! SQL databases already running and installed.

Future versions of Act! need to get away from the locked-down SQL setup and allow users to use Microsoft SQL tools as well as 3rd Party backup agents such as Backup Exec and the sort to make administration easier as Act! Scheduler isn't as robust a backup/restore solution.

Message Edited by ioniancat21 on 04-22-2010 08:01 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ioniancat21
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! 2009 Premium installation snafu............

Since there was nobody here that could answer my question, I called support and they helped me along with the solution to my snafu. The solution to this issue is pretty simple actually, give support a call and they'll help you get to your solution.

Thanks again..........

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

As a note to all Act! users, there are methods you can use to brute-force the secret Act! SQL SA account password and change it to what you desire. I was testing using an offline local copy in the lab and indeed it is possible. This could be a benefit to all as I'm not keen on having Sage dictate to me that I'm not experienced or skilled enough to have access to the SQL tables. By changing this password to a known password, it opens up the ability for you to use Microsoft's SQL Management Studio to perform backup and restore jobs along with other things. I can see over 50 people have seen my message and yet nobody can solve my simple problem so I may be forced to do what I tested in the lab above or call support on the phone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, other than telling me to call support???

Thanks, CAT

Solution
Accepted by topic author ioniancat21
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Since there was nobody here that could answer my question, I called support and they helped me along with the solution to my snafu. The solution to this issue is pretty simple actually, give support a call and they'll help you get to your solution.

Thanks again..........