Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2009 Premium client insists on keeping email blasts in house

Act 2009 Premium client insists on keeping email blasts in house

Gang,

Have a client who thinks that because he sends emails from his system that he will have a better delivery success rate.  I have had little success in convincing him differently.  I am looking for some help on suggestions / options – thanks in advance.

Last year, we upgraded his Act system from Act6 to Act premium 2009.  Although we advised differently, the client insisted on installing it on his existing server running Small Business Server 2003 with exchange server / Trends Micro delivering all email.  The system is bog slow now and can be brought to its knees with a couple hundred recipient email blast.  The email blast is a text email with a PDF attachment that is about 150kb on average.

The Act user count is 11 so a non server operating system for moving the Act 2009 server duties to a workstation is not possible.  A new Dedicated server in addition would be needed for this approach.  My opinion is that Exchange is a much bigger hog of resources and would benefit the system more if it is on its own server.

Any thoughts?  Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act 2009 Premium client insists on keeping email blasts in house

Hello WoodsRider,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

I understand it may be a hard sell, but as an option you may want your client to have a look at the Swiftpage email system (add-on for Act!).  It will free up the resources usually taken by the blasts themselves and provide a lot more detail to the success of the emails sent.  For example: who sent to, who opened, how many times opened, number forwarded, and ability to opt out of future blasts, etc...  There are other email providers but Swiftpage is well integrated into the Act! database.  For information, visit: Swiftpage/Act!.

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Act 2009 Premium client insists on keeping email blasts in house

Thanks Greg.  I have looked at Swiftpage and agree it looks good.

My client has it in his head that it needs to come out of his own system.  I will show him the Swiftpage and other solutions.

Since his existing server is 7 years old (Pentium 4) 2.4ghz single core running exchange server 2000 (I was mistaken when I previously said 2003) I think it could pay off to upgrade his hardware with a new server running SBS 2008 with Exhange.  I think the server is choking on inspecting the small (under 200k) PDF that is attached to the text email.  Any thoughts?

Thanks