Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 and sqlservr eating up memory

Copper Contributor

Act 2008 and sqlservr eating up memory

What's up with Act 2008 and sqlservr.exe sucking up memory? All the way to the point that Act freezes up.

When I start up Act, it will use up 135k of memory and then within an hour (I won't even have to be using Act) it will creep up to about 250k. Also sqlservr.exe will start at 71k (when act is finished opening) and will also creep up to anywhere between 100k and 250k (although, it hit 500k the other day to my astonishment). I can minimize Act and the Act memory usage will go down, but only temporarily, and it won't affect sqlserver.

Also when I quit Act, sqlserver won't free up the memory until I restart the computer.

Is there a way to cap the amount of memory Act an sqlservr use?

Why would Act freeze up when I'm not even doing anything with it?

I'm running XP Pro Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2 GB memory.
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act 2008 and sqlservr eating up memory

Using Act 2005, I've had my memory usage go as high as 750,000k. This usually happens after I've made quite a few significant changes to the db, after adding over 100 contacts, or I'm doing other large computing tasks. I tend to work as a power user compared to everyone else in my office. I've gotten to the point that I just figure it's better to restart Act in the afternoon.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The issue with ACT! 2005 was a problem with MSSQL failing to fully release memory. There was a workaround incorporated in ACT! 2006 and the version of MSSQL used with ACT! 2007 and later did not have the problem.

There was another thread regarding the ACT! 2008 problem and I believe it is some kind of configuration issue.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Super Contributor

Royel wrote:
The issue with ACT! 2005 was a problem with MSSQL failing to fully release memory. There was a workaround incorporated in ACT! 2006 and the version of MSSQL used with ACT! 2007 and later did not have the problem.
There was another thread regarding the ACT! 2008 problem and I believe it is some kind of configuration issue.

So no hotfix was provided to users of Act 2005? We're required to spend a few hundred dollars upgrading to a new version to fix a flaw in a previous version?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Jeremy wrote:
What's up with Act 2008 and sqlservr.exe sucking up memory? All the way to the point that Act freezes up.

When I start up Act, it will use up 135k of memory and then within an hour (I won't even have to be using Act) it will creep up to about 250k. Also sqlservr.exe will start at 71k (when act is finished opening) and will also creep up to anywhere between 100k and 250k (although, it hit 500k the other day to my astonishment). I can minimize Act and the Act memory usage will go down, but only temporarily, and it won't affect sqlserver.

Also when I quit Act, sqlserver won't free up the memory until I restart the computer.

Is there a way to cap the amount of memory Act an sqlservr use?

Why would Act freeze up when I'm not even doing anything with it?

I'm running XP Pro Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2 GB memory.

Try  ACTDIAG - Tools | Release ACT! Memory
You can set it to release memory every hour
In the server settings, it also possible to set the max amount of RAM SQL will use.
Copper Contributor

I have found the solution to  this problem.  Believe it or not, it's Vista.  Vista seems to have a much better time handling memory, .Net and sqlserver.  I used to have all kinds of problems with Act on XP.  Now that I'm on Vista, I couldn't be happier.

Core 2 Duo

7200 rpm SATA drive

and 2 Gig of memory 

seem to help too.