Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 Premium utilizing SQL Server 2005 Standard w/o Act Install on SQL Server

Act 2008 Premium utilizing SQL Server 2005 Standard w/o Act Install on SQL Server

I just purchased Act 2008 Premium. I believe it's the EX based on it didn’t come with any SQL Server 2005 Installer or Licenses. However when i go to About it says "ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.2.191" Regardless of ST or EX it's my understanding its the same. Problem:I'm trying to setup/configure the database on my SQL Server without installing Act on the SQL Server it's self.   Actions: I created a test database on a local workstation. I successfully copied over and attached the ADF & ALF files to the SQL Server. I can access all of the tables within SQL Management Studio on the SQL Server. I also set the MSSQLSERVER TCP/IP Dynamic Ports to 57564 in SQL Server Configuration Manager. Restarted Server. Updated PAD file to config below. (IP being dedicated SQL Server) 

ACTDatabase name="Test" host="10.129.10.11" location="" type="Sql"

When i try to access the modified PAD file from my workstation i get a time error "The database Test could not be accessed"  Any ideas/suggestions, besides installing Act on the server? Thanks - Phil

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2008 Premium utilizing SQL Server 2005 Standard w/o Act Install on SQL Server

You need to install ACT! on the server. Database creation, user account maintenance can only be done from the locally installed ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Re: Act 2008 Premium utilizing SQL Server 2005 Standard w/o Act Install on SQL Server

If that's accurate than Sage did a poor design of the product.  No DBA want's or should NEED an application like ACT on a dedicated SQL Server.  They should state that in their presales information.   
Platinum Elite Contributor

AccentPhil wrote:
If that's accurate than Sage did a poor design of the product.  No DBA want's or should NEED an application like ACT on a dedicated SQL Server.  They should state that in their presales information.   

Most ACT! users don't have a SQL server and it designed to be easy to install for the majority of users.

This ACT! Knowledge Base article describes how to install on an existing SQL server - http://tinyurl.com/3je5j8