Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2008 Database Sharing and SQL confusion..again..

Act! 2008 Database Sharing and SQL confusion..again..

So,

My dbadmin installed ACT! 2008 Premium ST edition on a brand new server.  He also created a share to host the database (\\servername\share$) and I can see the demo database there.  The test domain account I am using has read/write access to this share.

On the client side, I installed the same ACT! 2008 Premium ST software which installs SQL 2005 Express.  I was told that SQL express is not needed when connecting to a shared database on the network (since it's supposed to use the full blown SQL 2005 installation that comes with the ST edition). 

I am having a few problems, however:
  • When I try to create a database in the above share, it says the database must be created locally.  In addtion, the checkbox that allows sharing of the database is greyed out.
  • I can create a local database with the SQL Server (ACT7) (MSSQL$ACT7) service running, but as soon as I stop the service I can no longer connect.
  • If I copy the .PAD and all associated database files to the share, I cannot connect to it as long as the SQL service is stopped.

Our goal is to have the database stored (and shared) on a server (running SQL) for about 10 - 12 users to access from their desktops.  What are we doing wrong?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2008 Database Sharing and SQL confusion..again..

Skaye wrote:
So,

My dbadmin installed ACT! 2008 Premium ST edition on a brand new server.  He also created a share to host the database (\\servername\share$) and I can see the demo database there.  The test domain account I am using has read/write access to this share.
You shouldn't need that Share. ACT! creates it's own share for the supplemental files and you don't access the database directly
On the client side, I installed the same ACT! 2008 Premium ST software which installs SQL 2005 Express.  I was told that SQL express is not needed when connecting to a shared database on the network (since it's supposed to use the full blown SQL 2005 installation that comes with the ST edition). 
The full SQL 2005 ST is only installed on server operating systems (2003 or 2008)
  • When I try to create a database in the above share, it says the database must be created locally.  In addtion, the checkbox that allows sharing of the database is greyed out.

The databases must be created on the local machine... create them on the server or create them locally, backup and restore_as on the server

• I can create a local database with the SQL Server (ACT7) (MSSQL$ACT7) service running, but as soon as I stop the service I can no longer connect.

Because you have to create the database locally, you must have SQL on a machine where the database is

• If I copy the .PAD and all associated database files to the share, I cannot connect to it as long as the SQL service is stopped.

You should NOT just copy the files. For a start, the PAD file contains the name of the machine that the database is on

Try reading this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3qgjxw