Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2008 Calendar refreshing

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 2008 Calendar refreshing

We recently upgraded to Act 2008, and we really miss the automatic refreshing of the old ACT calendar when new activities are added.  Currently we are manually refreshing the new version to see new activities, but we don't always remember, and don't want to have to remember.

How can we get the calendar to automatically update when new activities are added?

Thanks for any advice.

--L

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pluiest
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act 2008 Calendar refreshing and Calendar View Plus

To turn on Auto-refresh follow these steps.

1. Right-click on the appointment list on the right-side of the calendar view.

2. From the popup menu select ACTIVITY LIST - > APPEARANCES.

3. On this window place a check mark on "AUTO-REFRESH" and select your desired interval.

4. Click OK

The duplicate entries you are seeing is actually the 'invitation' being displayed. You are probable creating appointment for other user in the database. When this happens ACT creates a sudo activity called an 'invitation.' It is this invitation that is also being displayed and also removed when the original activity is deleted. We have an option to change this behavior.

1. Click on the FIELDS icon on the CVP toolbar

2. Click on the INVITATIONS tab

3. Place a check mark in USE ACT'S INVITATIONS....

4. Click OK

Hope this helps.

-- jim durkin

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2008 Calendar refreshing

The problem with that is that it causes a significant drain in network bandwidth that is a big issue when more users are on the database.

If you go to another screen when doing work, it should pick up any changes when you go back

Thanks for the tip, though it doesn't resolve this for me.  We were happy with whatever bandwidth it was taking to automatically refresh before.  We have to be able to rely upon what's on the screen, not remmeber to either refresh or open a different screen while working.  I feel like the tools we use should take away the need to babysit this kind of thing.  We contemplated for quite a while before upgrading, and we are rather disappointed in several things with the new version.  Its enough to interrupt work flow in a very busy office.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Maybe, if users request this, they can add an option to auto-refresh data in calanders in a set time.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Bronze Super Contributor

We developed an add-on for ACT called Calendar View Plus for ACT! (CVP) that has auto-refresh and many other mission critical features such as:

1. Display any field from the Activity and/or contact table

2. Display a unique column per user or resource,

( excellent when looking at multiple users or resources on a calendars)

3. See al the names of the contacts not "<multiple contacts>

4. See your entire notes/details text field not just a little 'icon' representation

5. a familiar, easy-to-use interface embedded inside ACT!'s

You can download a free trial from our web site:

http://www.durkincomputing.com/ACTAddonsCalendarViewPlus.aspx

Hope this helps

-- jim durkin

[ Edited ]

I actually have been using the Calendar View Plus trial version (on my workstation only) to test it out because we NEED something to make ACT usable for us again.

I do like alot of the features of CVP and we are still experimenting with it. However, I do not see it auto refresh and can find no options to make it automatically refresh. I have to scroll off of the screen for it to update the calendar view.

Also, sometimes I have seen duplicate appointments on the calendar. When I delete one, it deletes both entries. When I re-enter the appointment, it makes two entries for it.  Other than these few anomalies, the calendars at our various workstations are the same and update with the same info (when we tell it to update).

Disappointed with our "upgrade". Trying to stick it out and make it work, but frankly,the old version was far better for our purposes. Its disappointing enough to have to purchase a host of add-ons to fake a usable design of the core program.

Thanks for any tips - I'm trying to get this working smoothly.

Message Edited by pluiest on 07-11-2008 09:06 AM
Message Edited by pluiest on 07-11-2008 09:07 AM
Solution
Accepted by topic author pluiest
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

To turn on Auto-refresh follow these steps.

1. Right-click on the appointment list on the right-side of the calendar view.

2. From the popup menu select ACTIVITY LIST - > APPEARANCES.

3. On this window place a check mark on "AUTO-REFRESH" and select your desired interval.

4. Click OK

The duplicate entries you are seeing is actually the 'invitation' being displayed. You are probable creating appointment for other user in the database. When this happens ACT creates a sudo activity called an 'invitation.' It is this invitation that is also being displayed and also removed when the original activity is deleted. We have an option to change this behavior.

1. Click on the FIELDS icon on the CVP toolbar

2. Click on the INVITATIONS tab

3. Place a check mark in USE ACT'S INVITATIONS....

4. Click OK

Hope this helps.

-- jim durkin

[ Edited ]

Jim:

Thanks very much for the suggestions regarding the invitations and the the refreshing. The invitation issue seems to be solved.

Edited this post because you seem to have solved the refresh issue as well.

Thanks so much for all of your help!!  CVP looks to solve most of our complaints about the updated ACT program.

--pluiest

Message Edited by pluiest on 07-21-2008 10:08 AM

We are using a 2011 version and experiencing the same problem with refreshing. I tried to follow your instructions but our version might be different from 2008 one and I did not manage to find the ACTIVITY LIST. Could you please help me out?

Thanks in advance