Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2007 email attachments are lost now

Tuned Listener

Act 2007 email attachments are lost now

We are running Act 2007 Premium for workgroups and recently...about 3 weeks ago our email attachments stop working.  If you send an email from Act and attach a document it says its attached but when you click send it doesnt actually go.  If you look in the sent items it shows the attachment paperclip icon but even in sent items there is no attachment in the message.  Whomever gets the email also does not get the email attachment.  The message body stays in tack but the attachment is removed.  The same is true for inbound email.  If you get a message with an attachment it shows the paperclip icon in the list but there is no attachment when you open the message.  If you right click the message and choose Save Attachments you just get an empty list.

There are a few variations to this.  If you send/recieve an email with either a .txt or .img file then the attachment goes through.  If you send/recieve a .doc, .pdf, or .xls then the attachments are mysteriously stripped away.  These are the ones I tested for sure anyway. Everything worked perfectly until a few weeks ago.  Also the txt and img attachments show up in the sent items folder.  If you open a message where you attached a txt file it still shows the attachment where as the others show the attachment paperclip icon but if you open the message there is no attachment in there.

What has changed in the last few weeks is the question.  No new installations have happened and no new software was installed.  Some windows updates may have been installed.  

Also I am using Act email for sending email and have been for years.  The problem just started happeing recently.  I did read in the support section that applying the hotfix might cure the attachment problem.  I applied up to hotfix 3 in the last couple of days trying to resolve this issue with no luck. 

If you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know.  Thanks

Tuned Listener

Re: Act 2007 email attachments are lost now

I have a little more info on this problem.  It seems Act is for sure stripping the attachments.  I setup an account in outlook express and I used it natively to send an email with a PDF attachment out.  No problem attachment shows up on recieving box.  Then I setup Act Email to use the Outlook Express account and sent the exact same message with the exact same PDF attached. The attachment is missing on the email as before.  If I look in Sent Items it shows the paper clip but if you open the message there is no attachement.

I also tried sending from the company database and from the demo database just to confirm that the database was not the issue.  I still got the attachment ripped out of the message.  

What would cause Act to filter attachments?  It seems as though it is getting confused on some attachments but others go without problem.  Any suggestions recommendations on what to check>

Tuned Listener

This board seems to be pretty dead.

Regarding the problem I think it is related to the fact that I am using a SQL express database.  The ActEmailMessageStore is at 4 GB which appears to be the limit.  Now the question is how do remove data from that database.  I went into one of the user accounts and deleted a bunch of  email.  The store did not decrease in size at all and the problem is still there.  I went in and deleted more email and then did a repair/reindex on the database but still it was the exact same size.  What do I have to delete to get the database to shrink?

Tuned Listener

So that Did the trick.  I removed a bunch of email from Act email and did a dcddShrinDatabase on the ActEmailMessageStore and now attachemnts are coming through correctly again.  Once the database reaches the 4GB limit again they will just mysteriously stop.  There should be an error of some sort generated but maybe I just dont know where to look.  Anyway if your emails stop working randomly its probabbly because your database got too big.