Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2007 Drop Down List Import restrictions

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act! 2007 Drop Down List Import restrictions

We are running Act! 2007 Premium ST edition. SQL Server 2005 SP2 as the backend. Windows XP SP3 for the clients, Server 2003 R2 SP2 on the server.

I was wondering if there are any of the following undocumented limitations to importing a .txt file into the drop down lists:

I understand the format to be "VALUE","DESCRIPTION" and saved as a plain text file  (.txt)

1. Character set requirements
  2. Forbidden Characters in the description field ',?,/,\,etc.
  3. Size limit (database says 128 characters for field length)
  4. ??

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act! 2007 Drop Down List Import restrictions

I ended up truncating the descripton information through Excel's Left function to 120 characters. After doing that I was able to save my list as a text file, and import it into the field wihtout issue. Seems that the description field was the culprit. It was a list of SIC codes and their description which I purchased from the NACIS.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beyond the basic Import/Export Drop Down Lists document, we do not have any documents that specify anything that you cannot enter.  I have tested the following characters and they import without issue: /, ?, @, +, #, &, :, *, and +.  I then added the drop down list to a field and was able to select them. 

Testing was done in Act! 2010, but I expect the behavior to be the same in 2007.

Message Edited by gmartin on 04-09-2010 08:45 AM
Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I ended up truncating the descripton information through Excel's Left function to 120 characters. After doing that I was able to save my list as a text file, and import it into the field wihtout issue. Seems that the description field was the culprit. It was a list of SIC codes and their description which I purchased from the NACIS.

Thanks.