Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2006, one user (and one user alone) cannot make history entries!

Act 2006, one user (and one user alone) cannot make history entries!

I've tried this user's login on 2 different remote DBs and on a direct connection to the db - he can't record a history.  You enter all the details for the history item, click OK, the history pane refreshes... and nothing has been added.  I've run a check/repair on the DB, and I'm just not sure where to go from here.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2006, one user (and one user alone) cannot make history entries!

Here a a couple things you can check:

- Make sure the filter setting on the History tab are set to show All Users, All Dates, and All Types

- Make sure this user has full permissions on the network to access the directory where the ACT! database is stored

- This user may have a damaged ACT! user profile

* Try logging into ACT! on his machine with another ACT! username

* Try logging into ACT! on a different machine under his ACT! username

If the ACT! user record is damaged, then create another user for him and delete the old user. When you delete the old user, you will have the option to copy the records for that user to another user, in which case you would choose to copy the data to his new user record. Be sure to back up the database before you do this.

You can also try running maintenance on the database by going to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check & Repair. In addition, on machine hosting the database, run a Security rebuild:

- Close the ACT! program 

- From the Windows Start menu, choose Run and type in actdiag

- Go to the Database List and highlight the main database

- Right-click on the database and choose Database Rebuild/Rebuild Security

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I began experiencing this today as well.  One user only cannot create history entries from his XP machine.  When you try to add a history entry, the Act UI locks up.  He runs as a standard user.  Other users aren't experiencing this problem and history creation works fine with his login from Act installs on other machines.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Act on this machine.  Still the same issue.

If Act is started as an Admin, then it works fine.

Running Procmon from Sysinternals/MS, I've found quite a few Not Found entries for reference assemblies when Act is run as a standard user.  I believe that this may be an unintended side effect or bug of the MS patches released yesterday.   

Bronze Elite Contributor

What if you either uninstall the MS updates or roll the machine back to a prior date and check if History is created?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Uninstalling the updates didn't help.  Although not a granular fix, I found that it was some issue within the users windows profile (C:\documents and settings\%username%).  I backed up the old profile directory, had the user login to create a new one, then copieed over his documents, desktop items, browser favorites, emails, etc.  This fixed the creating of history entries problem here.