Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 18.x Google Integration Cannot be Established

Bronze Elite Contributor

Act! 18.x Google Integration Cannot be Established

On both Act! Pro and Act! Premium as desktop, failure to establish integration with Google. Across various PC's and Google accounts and various versions of Act! 18, with or without service packs in place. The error as per the image, 'Unable to access Goggle account...". It appears not to be an authentication problem, but a connection problem in that Act! appears in Google settings as an allowed application. 

GoogleIntegrationError.png

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 18.x Google Integration Cannot be Established

are they using two step authentication? I've seen a couple of articles around with other products that have this problem with the two step authentication
Bronze Elite Contributor

No, on testing ourselves we are working with Goggle accounts that are not two-step verification and the problem persists. 

Graeme Leo

Administrator

Hi Graeme,

Does this error occur immediately after clicking the Register button, or do you see any other windows or dialogs after pressing Register?

Please can you try removing the Google integration preferences as per the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33804
Bronze Elite Contributor

Gary,

You do briefly see the Window displaying the cached OAuth authentication for the Google API, as you might expect.

The resetting of Google preferences as per the KB referred to make no difference.  

Graeme Leo

Administrator

Hi Graeme,

Please could you try removing permission for Act from your Google connected apps page, and trying to connect again. https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions?pli=1

If after removing the permission, the issue is not resolves, would you be able to provide us with a screen recording of this error occurring, from the point of opening the Google integration preferences, to after clicking OK on the error dialog?
Bronze Elite Contributor

The Google connected apps page does not list Act! as a connected app for my Google account for it to to be removed. 

Which begs the question why? Is it because Act! has never authenticated for the first time? So are there other reasons why it wouldn't appear, what would you see as the sequence of events and dependencies? 

Graeme Leo

Administrator

[ Edited ]

This would suggest that you have never registered Act to the Google account you were logged into when checking the connected apps page.
Have the machines that are experiencing this issue ever had the Google integration set up?

If the Google Authorization window is not fully displayed after clicking Register, then further to the steps i've posted above, I would suggest manually rebuilding Act preferences, and if the problem persists, reinstalling Act.

Rebuilding Act Preferences: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

Bronze Elite Contributor

I beg to differ. I suggest that you provide a detailed sequence of screenshots that one is expected to see in the correct setup. This is a case where now 5 machines across two sites have failed to be able to setup and have displayed the error screen as per the original post. Please provide an image of what you refer to as 'Google Authorization window.   I also suggest that you test for yourselves.  

Graeme Leo

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Graeme,

Here's a screen recording of the correct Google Integration setup process.

The Google authorization window appears directly after answering "Yes" to the question dialog "Do you have a Google e-mail account?".

Because I have previously signed into my Google account in Internet explorer, my password has been saved and I do not have to enter it again when allowing the connection between Act and my Google account.